Chapter 11

For days and nights I was haunted by these dreams until I could no longer sleep. Sometimes I would even turn away from Johanna who seemed to be mature enough to understand my silence, my distress. Poor child that she'd have to keep up with me. I couldn't look her in the eye at times and she would only sat on my lap and snuggle at me like she needed comfort when I knew it was the other way around. And alas, these simple thoughts had somehow comforted me, and yet it wasn't enough.

The world around me seemed different afterwards. No, it was I who has become different or it's even right to say that I have just gone back to who I am after becoming different. What does it matter? All the same, I knew who I am. I knew where I am supposed to go and what I am supposed to do. The Watchers are right, I couldn't escape them.

I was glad though that I was able to keep Johanna. It was then I realized the truth in Abaddon's words, that this girl's scent is too humane that it overwhelms any evil scent around her. It was her innocence. It was her purity and her laughter. All these had saved me even for just a moment while I had regained my memories in this mortal world.

Johanna didn't say a word neither did she ask me any question as I wrapped her in my coat and drew out my wings to leave our apartment forever. I didn't bother thinking of the consequences once she finds out what I am. I soar up into the night and let the cool wind blew against my face as I let myself indulge in the bliss calmness I could feel as I we were up into the velvet sky. I was saying goodbye to the short peaceful life I had experienced. It was a beautiful dream and all that is beautiful don't really last. They all come to an end.

It was summer in Japan. I could feel the warmth even in the dead of the night. I could sense the pungent scent of what's been left of Gehenna. How long has it been since this smell wafted in the air? I couldn't tell. All I knew is that it's going to be a long night.

I padded silently along the street with the sleeping Johanna in my arms. I held on close to her as I drunk from the smell of her floral shampoo like it will be the last time I'd ever do this. I kissed her on the top of her head as I soon reached the vicinity of Shiba where I have laid her on the grass under a sakura. Then I stood there waiting, humming a tune to myself. Children of Darkness byMaksim. And so on I waited, and waited...

An hour or two, I felt them coming. They appeared from the shadows, out of sight from humans around. They all appear mortal but not to me. They appeared as whom they are as they soon surrounded me.

They say that old habits die hard and yes I believe so. No they don't and the longing sense of becoming one with these habits is overwhelming that I suddenly become too excited to rip their wings and cut off their heads from their throat.

"You are alive after all" it was a statement, an accusation.

"Yes, as you can see" I answered as I study them carefully. Of course they would appear mortal with how they have hidden their true nature in flesh and blood of mortals. "What will you do now?" I grinned at them.

No one answered but I see that they are ready to attack me if needed. How can they be hesitant now that they've got their chance of finding and even surrounding me? So is that it, angels will still be what they are meant to be, angels.

"Surrender and all these will end. Stop creating any more confusion among others!"

"And what have I done to confuse these others?" I asked innocently. Of course I knew about the continuous rebellion of angels. I knew about them who had been plummeting down the ground and failing and in the end causing distraught to mortals and the balance of these realms itself. I knew about the crack of the port between the mortal world and that of Shehaquim. They all don't mean a thing for me I realized.