Chapter 34

"It felt warm. Your hands felt warm"

"Is it now? You are just cold Cien. Come closer, it will even be warmer" Kahel opened his cloak and Cien snuggled like a child. But then again, he realized he was a child.

"You are right"

"Are you feeling better?"

Cien nodded comfortably as Kahel went on stroking his hair with his loving hands. It feels good, to be warmed by these hands. It felt safe. But when he opened his eyes to look up at Kahel, he realized he was looking into someone else's eyes.

"Lune, that is your name right?"

"Yes" still an apathetic reply as he looked away from him and yet continued to stroke his hair with gentle touch. He realized he's been lying down the chamber stone with his head down on the lap of this stranger. He has been staying there with him for quite a long while now and yet he still regard him as a stranger as the latter did with him or with everyone else.

He has been dreaming of his father and he was trying to recall the name he had called him but now he couldn't remember. Suddenly embarrassed, he sat up as he avoided Lune's hand, which he admits felt warm and comfortable, as has been his father's.

"Sorry, I might have fallen asleep"

"You were quite delirious for a while now" one of his companions said but he pretended not to hear and silence fell once more as Lune has resumed his usual pose with his hands on his head, crossed legs and closed eyes.

He wonders what he could be thinking.

A dream within a dream. Cien opened his eyes and tried to remember if that had really happened in Gehenna. It doesn't seem likely but for what reason would he be dreaming of such an event?

"You have been searching for a purpose, isn't that so? Then let me tell you what it is. Live Cien, it is to live in behalf of everyone who had vanished along the way as we strived to find peace in the fields of the Nephilim.And if may be so that all you encounter are thorny weeds, then  I shall create a path for you"

"Lune..."

He whispered his name as he thought he heard his voice from his head. It felt almost as if those words were from a long forgotten memory. It was like it has been etched beneath his subconscious. He was blinking his eyes but he couldn't feel any movement of his lids. Then he heard another voice. This time it was more vivid like someone's trying to whisper words behind his ear.

Cien, are you awake now?

Mina, is that you?

No.

Cien was groping for light. There is nothing, not even a shadow to show him movements or figures of anything else that surrounds him. This could still be a part of his dream but if it is, then he'd rather go back in that chamber with Lune.

What are your thoughts Lune? Why this kind of silence all along?

And as he persisted on thinking about him or the past events which has already been buried deep inside his thoughts, all that keeps coming back was Lune's impish giggling and his gleeful laughter as he would embrace his freedom and get lost with the city lights. If only he could see him like this one more time.

Cien...

There came that voice once more, and yes, now he realized it couldn't be Mina. Besides, Mina is long gone and she would no longer come back. And here he is all alone, dreaming of eternal darkness and Lune. But who is it now that tries to awaken him?