Chapter 15

Amber turned off the lights when she was sure that Stellar is already sleeping soundly. Then she closed the door and went to her own room. She was glad to see her sister's peaceful face as she sleep. She hasn't seen this for a while. Her sister always had that troubled look even as she sleeps like she is always trying to fight off a nightmare. Sometimes she would even mumble in her sleep and utter names which doesn't seem familiar to her.

It is already past three hours that she was sleeping and Amber didn't notice anything odd anymore. It is almost eight in the evening. She had to get going with her appointment with a client. Her job is a personal nurse after the usual work in the school campus.

She took a hot shower and throws in her white uniform inside the laundry basket then took out a pair of black jeans and a plain white shirt. She put on her walking boots and a brown coat. She let her thick black hair hung down her shoulders and put on some powder on her cheeks then went out.

It is the beginning of Spring Season and she could almost smell the cherry blossoms in the air though she still couldn't see one single pink petal from the trees. Well, she'll have to wait for a while. With one last glimpse at the dark window of Stellar's room, she closed the gate and started walking. She'll have to catch a train in Roppongi towards Azabu-juban then towards the apartment where her client is waiting. Cerise Levarthal. Was that her name? She just met her the other week and she made quite an impression on her. And the fact that they have the same age (almost) sounded good to her.

Amber reached the underground station at eight thirty. The train will be arriving soon. She still have time for hot chocolate and with this thought, she approached the vendo machine and put in some coins for a warm can of Sapporo, some sort of milk cocoa she's been fond of lately. It's just too bad that she couldn't light a cigarette right now. Hot chocolate will do then. After five minutes or so, the train arrived and so she was on her way.

It wasn't so hard to find the apartment. It was one of those cozy apartments you'd find in the suburban with large cherry trees in front of it. It was some kind of a location a foreigner might want to occupy since it is also a short distance from the Tokyo Tower. In fact, she could see clearly the lights from the tower from where she was standing and thought it looked beautiful. A shame that she grew up in this place and yet she haven't got the chance to marvel at these scenes the city could offer.

Hmm, a girl like Cerise would of course choose a place like this. Amber mused as she was already standing in front of her door.

The door opened as she was about to knock and a small girl was smiling up at her. Amber was surprised that all she could do was to stare down at the girl. Her eyes were blue and she has that bouncy brown hair tumbling down her shoulders in a messy curl. She looked about five or six years old. She was wearing a pink nightgown and a bunny bedroom slipper.

"Konbanwa!" the girl greeted her in Japanese with a slight accent. Amber smiled and ruffled the girl's hair. She just couldn't help but touch those curls.

"Konbanwa kimi-chan" she answered as the girl opened the door wider to let her in like she was already expecting her. But isn't this a dangerous act for a child? Letting a stranger in like that without even knowing who she is?

Amber removed her boots and slipped in the soft fur slippers waiting for her then took a hesitant step inside the apartment. The smell of jasmine and magnolia filled her nose immediately and it felt refreshing. Is that perfume? Or was it incense?

"Thank you for coming" a soft voice trailed off and Amber was mesmerized. Cerise was sitting down the couch near the open window. She was smiling at her warmly and the dimples on her cheeks were visible under the lights from the scattered lamps. Her hair too looked more vibrant in its dark pink or almost red color. When she was first introduced to her by her immediate supervisor in the hospital, she didn't really notice these features, and that she thought that hair was colored. Now as she looked at it, she realized it was all too natural although it still seemed unnatural no matter if she is a foreigner.