Chapter 16

The loud scream startled Gabriel. It almost made him leap off his feet pathetically. What in the mortal world would have that power to startle someone like him? He felt almost annoyed with himself and yet he couldn't help it. Anything could surprise him now. It wasn't like in the old days when he was the one giving out surprises.

He shook his head to clear his mind as he tried to determine where the sound came from. It wasn't too far but what could that be? It sounded like a woman though and it was in the vicinity of Amber's place, the nurse he had set up to care for Cerise. He last saw the woman got out of the train in Roppongi a few hours ago. She should be inside her house now. He had been trailing her since she left the apartment of Cerise and now he felt somehow worried that she might be trailed by anyone else who might have the goal of killing her.

And besides, he felt responsible for her now. He had somewhat manipulated everything to set her up to become Cerise's nurse as he had manipulated anyone else who could actually aid Cerise in the mortal world. Amber Kojima, twenty five. A school nurse in a public high school with a habit of drinking and smoking. He found her interesting, but the main reason for him choosing her is her little sister, Stellar. But of course, he knew her capability as well and Gabriel knew that she is the only one who can be perfect enough in caring for Cerise.

So I can't let any jeopardy to come my way!

The threat of the Ophanim is over or seemed over at least since the fall of Lune along with Cien, but he couldn't just relax. And he knew that the threat on Cerise isn't over yet. Abaddon asked him to take her away and it was for a reason. He knew and yet he couldn't accept still.

But who is the enemy?? It doesn't really matter who. Whoever defies him then that is the enemy. But what if he is the one who is already defying them? Come what may. I am still a Seraph for pete'sake!

Gabriel leaped from the roofs and walls half running through the district towards the location of the screams he just heard. He stopped a few blocks away from the house of the nurse. He could feel the rustling of wind against the closed windows of the houses. How come that nobody went out to check on the noise outside? Ah, he could feel some of them behind the closed windows peeping in the dark through the blinds and curtains. And they shiver in fear for their lives. Good riddance.

He looked around to see a cloaked figure in the corner of the dark alley underneath the broken street lamp. The mortal eyes don't see the shadow yet Gabriel knows the scent. On his feet is a woman lying down. Only half of her body was visible. It looked badly torn from the waist and the lower part is nowhere in sight. It was dark and yet he could see plainly the pool of blood on the pavement.

"Rabid dogs" the shadow muttered. "You are late Gabriel"

"And so are you, Camael" he replied.

"No. I was here earlier to watch it happen" Camael's answer astonished Gabriel. He couldn't imagine him watching this kind of savagery, not Camael.

"And you let go of the culprit" Gabriel didn't really mean to sound accusing.

"Some guardian angel you are, Gabriel. But yes you are right, I let go of it and might've followed its trail if you didn't scare it. Surely, it has sensed you so it disappeared in the shadows leaving only this" he said motioning at the grotesque sight down on his feet. "It was some of your old friend's I believe. You should know more about it than I do" it was Camael's turn to sound accusing.

Gabriel was silent, his eyes staring blankly in the darkness before them. Why this kind of display? And in this place? It was no coincidence. Then shall he call it a warning?

Camael was watching his expression intently. Surely he was trying to read through him. It doesn't matter. Camael knows better than to merely judge. And besides, who told him about the presence of Stellar but Camael?