I Ain't Worried 'Bout It

The next morning the team was settled into their regular seats in the lecture room when Maverick walked in wearing his civilian jeans and a t-shirt, holding a beach towel in his hand. The team looked at each other confused, questioning what was going on.

"What are you all looking at. Grab your stuff, we are heading to the beach. Get dressed for football." With that, he walked out the door, leaving everyone with more questions. 

Everyone piled into a few cars, driving together, following after Maverick on his bike as he led them to the beach. Wren had hopped into the passenger seat of Rooster's jeep along with Payback and Bob. The wind blew through the vehicle as they drove, messing up Wren's perfectly slicked back hair. Considering they were going off base she figured it was safe to just throw it up in a messy bun instead. Rooster cranked the radio in his car when 'A Little Less Conversation' came on, winking at Wren as he did. The four of them pulled up to the beach laughing and singing and spilled out onto the sand. Maverick stood in the centre of the group holding up two footballs. 

"Today we are practising dogfighting," he said. Wren looked over at Phoenix who looked just as confused. "Dogfight football."

A few of the guys whooped as Maverick tossed one ball to Phoenix and the other to Bob. 

"Alright split yourselves into two teams and let's get started." 

Everyone started tossing their shirts off to the side and Wren had to keep herself from getting too distracted by Rooster's abs glistening in the sun. The game was absolute chaos, Wren could barely follow what was going on and that seemed to be consistent with the rest of the team as well. Very quickly the game dissolved into just for fun, goofing around. It was nice to relieve some stress after the long days of training they've had. 

Wren ran down the beach, through the throng of people and caught a football that Fanboy threw in her direction. She ducked and dodged past Fritz and Coyote, finally reaching the end zone. She threw the ball down and Fanboy ran to celebrate with her, lifting her into the air on her shoulder and cheering. Wren had to wiggle herself out of his grip as Hangman tried to run past them with his own football. She ran and lunged at Hangman, grabbing him around the waist and pulling him down into the sand. He growled playfully at Wren and held her down in the sand as she tried to get up. Holding her there until he had gotten up himself and was ready to run away. Wren stuck her tongue out at Hangman but he just laughed.

A new play started and Maverick got tackled to the ground. Wren watched in shock as Rooster walked up and reached his hand down to help the older man up. They looked into each other's eyes for a moment and Rooster patted Maverick on the arm before they broke away and continued on playing. Not long after, Maverick must have called it in for the day because he ran off to sit further up on the beach. After this things got even more chaotic until they were barely playing football anymore. Wren held Phoenix by the waist trying to prevent her from throwing the football to her WSO, but despite her efforts Bob made a great catch and ran to catch what ended up being the final touchdown of the game. Everyone crowded around Bob, lifting him onto their shoulders, cheering and yelling, and overall just having a great time. 

Rooster, after letting Bob down from his shoulders, turned to face Wren. He had a mischievous look on his face and took off towards her. Wren screamed slightly and tried to run, but was caught off guard and Rooster quickly caught up to her, dragging her with him into the cold water and tossing her into the relentless waves.

Wren surfaced with a gasp.

"You're dead Rooster!" she said jumping onto his back and leaning with all her weight until he fell back into the water as well. This time as they surfaced they had been joined by most of the team in the water, splashing and swimming to cool off after the long day in the sun.

As they packed up Phoenix put her arm around Wren's shoulders, and the two sang and danced the entire way back to the cars.