4. The Trainer

On his journey, Tanjiro asked some people he encountered for directions. He found out that there is a temple he will pass to get to Mt. Sagiri and decided he will rest there for the evening. He continued his walk.

  As the sun was setting, the surrounding area is covered in shade. He decided that Nezuko would be safe as there were no sunlight hitting this area. He puts the basket down and lets her out.

"Ah! Look, there's the temple! There's light inside, we have company... Come on..." Tanjiro said as he holds Nezuko's hand.

  Before Tanjiro could go closer to the temple, he saw a silouhet between the trees. He looks towards the trees and he used his sense of smell to determine if it's a demon or not.

'!! That's Koku-nii! It must be important for him to let himself be noticed.' Tanjiro thought.

"Koku-nii." Tanjiro greeted. Kokushibo nodded his head, he beckoned them closer.

"...There will be a demon up ahead. I trust that you can kill the demon yourself..." Kokushibo told him.

"!! ...Hai. I will do my best." Tanjiro said nervously.

  Kokushibo hums and holds his sword out. Tanjiro blinks in surprise and hesitantly holds it. He looks at it in awe and tightened his hold. He calms himself down and is then determined to slay the demon.

"The faster you slay them... The faster you end their suffering." Kokushibo added.

  Tanjiro nodded. Kokushibo patted Nezuko on her head and stepped back into the forest. Tanjiro then nudges Nezuko to follow him. Him and Nezuko then went closer to the temple. He smelled blood and asked Nezuko to wait outside. He started to use Total Concentration for the upcoming fight. Tanjiro stepped closer and opens the door. The demon inside stopped eating and looked back.

"...Hey! This is my territory. Trespassers aren't allowed!" The demon said.

  Tanjiro looked disturbed at the bodies, but he took on a defensive stance. The demon noticed the sword and stood up, licking his bloodied fingers.

"Hm? Are you a demon slayer? Heh. Then you'll be the first slayer I'll eat." The demon said as he lunges forward.

  Tanjiro was pushed outside, but he was quick enough to cut the demons hands before it could do anything else. Nezuko was standing to the side, she saw a glimpse of blood from where she stood and was holding back her urges to devour the flesh of a human. She clenched her hands into fist to distract herself, her long nails digs into her palm that it starts bleeding.

"You know how to use that sword alright! Heh..." The demon said.

  Tanjiro quickly calms himself down and stood up. The demon put all his strength into regenerating one arm first and jumped towards Tanjiro. He jumped backwards, but the demon managed to grab his sleeve and yanks him to the side. The demon chokes him and holds his hand holding the sword down with the other newly regenerated arm.

  Tanjiro struggles to get the demon off. Nezuko heard her brother struggling, she got back to her senses and her pupil shrinks into slits. She ran towards the demon and kicked it's head off. Tanjiro wasn't expecting that and pushed the headless body off of him.

'She kicked his head off! But it is a demon, it won't die that easily.' Tanjiro thought.

  The body suddenly tried to grab Tanjiro again, but Nezuko kicked it away. Tanjiro quickly stood up and focused his breathing. He went over to where the head was and saw that it was trying to grow a new pair of hands. He calms his heart down and got ready to strike.