𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑋𝑉𝐼𝐼𝐼

~The Boy in the Barn~

Margery Paston was a sweet girl of thirteen, her smile as dazzling as her heart was pure. Her eyes were always bright with curiosity, despite their dark shade of heavenly brown, ever peering behind doors or into secret passageways long forgotten by most! She went about with a grin on her lips, her voice weaving a hum throughout the air like the pretty ribbons she loved to thread through her dark auburn hair.

The second to youngest of seven, she was used to being rather overlooked within the family home, left to her own devices and imagination. And so to say she was glad when her late Great Aunt Agnes had nominated her for the place in the household of a Royal Duchess was nothing short of an understatement!

While some so young may have found it daunting, leaving their home, Margery had found naught but excitement and adventure in the proposition! Perhaps she would become a true lady in time, she often wondered, after all, that was what her family wanted most.

To climb high.

With her family's steward, Richard Calle, she had trotted merrily along the roads of England, smelling the sweet air of the North and relishing the sun. She looked forward to meeting the new Duchess, the little girl whom the land had heard so much about but truly knew little of. The Duchess was an enigmatic riddle shrouded in mystery and Margery could not wait to have that mystery solved!

She arrived at Middleham the night the Duke and Duchess had and was the one to wake Catherine the next morning, drawing back the heavy curtains to the window with all the bright enthusiasm she could muster.

"Good morning, your grace!"

She turned around, only to see her new Lady bolt up from the covers, a dazed expression on her face as she looked to the empty space beside her.
"W....where is my Lord husband?"

"At his training, your grace!" Margery replied brightly, immediately taking to studying the little blonde haired beauty that stared at her rather curiously. She smiled, clasping her hands in front of her and almost chuckling when the Duchess gave a small gasp.

"Agnes?" She exclaimed and Margery shook her head.
"Margery" She corrected with an practiced curtsy. "Margery Paston, your grace, here to be your Lady in waiting!" At once, Catherine's face lit up and she flung back the covers of her bed, not bothering to reach for her robe as she strode towards the new girl and took her into a firm embrace.

"I have been waiting for you, Margery!" She murmured warmly, smiling when her new lady returned the embrace as enthusiastically as she "It is my hope that we shall be firm friends, just as I was with your late Aunt!"