𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑋𝐿𝑉𝐼𝐼

~An Ocean of Calm Before a Storm~

January 1471, France....

Anne was quiet as she gazed earnestly at her young husband from across the window seat of which they sat at opposite ends. He was a quiet thing, civil, but never overly so, almost as if he feared the intimacy of friendship.

Despite his outward coolness, she could tell there was a warmth to him, a delicate warmth he kept close and did not allow her to share in. Another had claimed it, that much she knew.

She'd known it since their wedding in December. He'd been kind to her that day, possessing a gentleness towards her that she'd rarely seen since but at their wedding feast there'd been a distance in his gaze, in the way his eyes stared blankly ahead of him instead of the festivities or his new little wife.

Not that she'd expected him to be gazing adoringly at her. At fourteen she was little more than a child to him. When she spoke what little words that she did, he turned to her almost in surprise, a hope in his eyes that dimmed when he saw it was her addressing him, though smiled kindly. He wanted another at his side.

Now, with his formidable Mother shut away with her council and the soft breeze of April blowing through the window, stirring her thoughts, she decided she wished to know who that other was. Edward was her husband, despite not being her choice nor she his, and if their union was to be a success she had to know the contents of his heart. Even if she was never to own it.

"Who is this woman? The one who had captured your heart?"

Two pairs of blue eyes met across the window seat, one questioning, the other surprised. She had never spoke to candidly before.

"What?"

His voice was little more than a breath in the air.

"I do not ask out of impertinence, my lord, only I can see her" Anne said "in your eyes. You love her" He took a sharp breath, those blue eyes of his frosting over slightly. Only then did she hesitate "W-who is she?" Edward blinked, clearly taken aback by her questions if not her willingness to speak to him which until then had been rather limited. Theirs was a quiet union.

Still, he could not deny the look of slight confusion that crossed his young face. He'd thought she'd known, at least guessed perhaps?

"I would have thought you knew her" He sighed bitterly, carding a hand through his tawny hair "Although I suppose she will have not been at liberty to speak of me" Now it was young Anne's turn to partake in the confusion and her rosebud mouth dipped into a frown.