𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝐿𝑉

~Traitors in our Midst~

Catherine did not know how long she stayed by her Prince's side, his limp, icy hand clasped in her own. All she knew was that when she bid him farewell, she cried, and tucked his body beneath the covers of his bed as gently and lovingly as when she put her son to sleep.

"Sweet dreams" She whispered before she slipped through the door and closed it softly behind her, as if he were truly sleeping and she didn't wish to wake him. Though the guards had returned to their posts, the corridors seemed as deserted to her as they'd been when she first walked through them. She didn't see, she didn't hear, she only let her feet guide her, taking her through the fortress to her rooms.

Where Richard waited.

He was sitting by the fire, a half emptied jug of wine at his feet and a drained goblet in his hand, exactly like the one containing the poison she'd used to kill Edward. The sight sickened her and she averted her eyes, refusing to look at him as he refused to look at her. She trod carefully into the room, intending to slip away to their son's chamber. Her little Henry was what she needed in that moment, she needed him in her arms, warm, alive, but his Father's voice called to her.

"Are you well?"

She sucked in a sharp breath, fingers brushing against the handle she'd been reaching for before they fell.
"How can you ask me that?" She murmured "When I have just watched the man I love murder my King"
"I thought Edward was your King"
Turning, she finally allowed herself to look at him again and found their gazes met, both filled with sorrow and guilt.

"He is, Richard" She said, feeling tears well in her eyes again "but so was Henry and I watched you kill him before I had to murder his son...." Her voice trailed away and she covered her mouth with a hand, trying to stifle the sob threatening to escape her. Tilting his head, Richard lay his goblet to one side and slowly moved to his feet, never letting his eyes leave hers.

"You didn't have to" He replied "We would've done it"
"And let you do something I would never ever forgive you for?" She cried, shaking her head as tears began to stream down her cheeks "I don't think I can even forgive myself...." Her shoulders shook with sobs and instantly Richard was by her side, wrapping his arms around her and cradling her head against his chest. She had not the strength to pull away.

"Oh Cate"
"I killed him" She wept, shaking her head "I took his life....I killed my Edward....oh Edward...."

꧁꧂

Westminster Palace....

Margery sighed as she once again caught a lone tear that tracked its way down her mistress's cheek. Three days she had watched Catherine glide from room to room of her chambers like a ghost, pausing every so often at one window or another to gaze through the veil of glass as if looking for something.