Chapter 13: Chunin Exams Part One

~~~~~

When I finally was discharged from the hospital it was time to get serious. Tenzo and I had been practising sparring with one another as I realized that I needed to get better with close combat fighting if I were going to stand a chance in the Chunin exams. He critiqued me on the way I engaged in combat telling me that I needed to be more aggressive. He told me I analyze well but I don't analyze fast enough in order to counter my opponent's attacks well. He said that most people in the Chunin exams didn't have the set of skills that I did, however, he told me there are some that will purposely hide their abilities until the final tournament. The tournament was going to be the hardest part of the chunin exams. The exams consisted of three parts; a written section, a survival section and the finals which were typically tournament-style combat. The first week was completely sparring and getting ready to fight my opponent hand to hand. The second week was jutsu related. I had the chakra reserves to perform well, but many of the jutsus I preferred were flashy. On top of that, I typically used water style which gave me an immediate disadvantage unless we were going to be fighting in the middle of the ocean. In the event that I needed to use my jutsu, I focused heavily on mastering the other form I was accustomed to that being fire style. While working on my ultimate trump card. Using one of my jutsus and something my sensei taught me I was creating something that I thought would work well for me when I found myself in a bind. This I called the Kusarigama. The first time I used it on Tenzo, he was stunned. I was too. I didn't think I could actually pull it off. He helped me practice this new jutsu I created. Like most of my jutsu, it was meant for long-range assault, which made its obvious weakness in close combat. However, I could use it for close combat, but it wouldn't be as effective. Tenzo and I stopped for the day each of us completely tired out. I was happy that the first exam was only a written test. Otherwise, my being as tired as I was wouldn't have played in my favour. I couldn't shake the feeling of genuine betrayal by Kakashi. To think that all we had been through together, me helping him cope with his pain and he never once came to see me in prison.

Tenzo joined me at home for dinner. I had been on this kick to make very high nutritional meals for both Naruto and myself. Especially since I was preparing to put my body and mind to the test. I plated the food for everyone that was here for dinner. The three of us sat together, laughing and joking. We shared stories and Tenzo teased Naruto about his height. Naruto was like any fussy child. He didn't like vegetables very much and I often watched him pick them off his plate. I told him if he didn't eat those, then he would only be as tall as me when he grew up. So he started shovelling the vegetables in his mouth, and the two of us chuckled. There was a soft knocking on the door. I got up to see who was trying to interrupt our dinner. I twisted the golden doorknob to behold the physique of my former best friend, Kakashi.

"And how can I help you, sir?" I asked him.
Kakashi sighed. "You're still mad at me?"
"I have every right to be."
"Can you please come outside? I want to talk to you." Kakashi asked me.
I rolled my eyes and called back inside. "Hey Tenzo, put Naruto to bed for me okay?"
"Will do. Naruto let's go."
"Awh but I want Onee-chan to tuck me in." Naruto protested.
Tenzo groaned. "Yes, but she asked me to do it."

This was going to be interesting. I thought to myself, as I stepped outside into the cool autumn air. The wind whipped through my hair and pressed aggressively against my cheeks. This didn't fair well with my very thin layer of pyjamas I had dawned before sitting down to dinner with Naruto and Tenzo. Kakashi took off the black zip-up he had on and wrapped it around my shoulders. He pulled me in close to him, I could feel the warmth from his body being transferred to me. I shoved my hands into the pockets of his jacket to keep them from getting cold. We sat down on the stairs that lead up to my apartment so we could have a small chat. I was still hurt by him. Not once had I made eye contact with him. For a good few moments, we sat there in complete silence. Neither one of us even attempted to say anything, but he sat there holding me in his arms. For some reason, I didn't push him away.