Chapter 26

Sara's POV

The next day, I woke up late. Baylen and EJ weren't in the cabin. I took my time getting up and getting ready for the day. I was nervous to face Baylen after last night, afraid he'd be cold towards me.

When I finally did go outside, to my surprise Baylen was laughing and playing with EJ like normal. They were throwing pine cones at eachother. When he saw me, he waved. EJ took his chance while he was distracted and hit in right in the butt with a pinecone.

"OW DUDE! You're dead." He said, bending down and packing pine cones into his arms.

"Sara!" My mom ran up, out of breath. "I can't get my hairdryer to turn on, did you bring yours?"

"No, mom... you don't have to get all dolled up, we're camping, okay? Calm down."

"UGH! But look at my hair!" She said, distressed.

"You look fine, honey." My dad chimed in as he walked by carrying some fishing poles.

"And where are you going?" Mom said, her hands on her hips.

"Lance and I are fishing at the other lake about a mile down the road. Don't wait up girls!"

"See? See, Sara he leaves me here to.. to entertain! What am I going to do with these kids." She gestures towards the water where the kids were fighting eachother.

"Mom, Carol and I will help you." I said. "Where is she?"

"In her cabin still asleep. I can't get her up! I think her and your uncle were up all night-"

"OKAY! No need to finish that sentence." I said.

"Well- I was going to say with the kids but they could've been having sex who knows! You're an adult now, get over yourself." She walked around me, fuming. I rolled my eyes and pulled up a lawn chair to watch the pinecone fight.

***
After my mom calmed down and got Carol out of bed, they rounded us all up.

"Listen up everyone! We're going hiking. So get some comfortable shoes on and grab a water bottle and maybe a snack. Let's get going." Carol said.

The kids and EJ groaned.

"I want to play." My cousin said.

"Well you also need to experience some nature and there are wonderful signs throughout the trails that TEACH YOU about the nature around us. So come on and stop the griping!" She said.

"That's right. Sara? Baylen, care to join?" Mom said.

"I'm good actually." I said. "I went on a walk last night."

Baylen glanced at me, and I looked away.

"I'll pass too, I'm pretty tired from the pinecone battle."

"Okay! That's fine, hey! Keep an eye on all our stuff okay?" Mom said.

***

After they left, Baylen sat at the picnic table near the water. I walked up to join him.

"Hey.." I said. "Can I sit?"

"Yeah of course." He said, picking at the old wooden tabletop.

I sat across from him. "So... about last night..."

"It's okay, I'm not mad or anything." He said.

"I thought you would be, but I had no reason to think that. You aren't... like... mean like that. You've always been really sweet and understanding."

He sighed.

"What?" I said.

"Nothing... I just meant what I said last night." He said.