2. Darjeeling

"Sarah how were you yesterday? I'm sorry about my sudden emer-" I prepared to tie my apron and help out at the shop.

But Sarah immediately interrupted me and said, "Harley, let's talk." then she flipped the signage out front to be closed.

"Don't worry. I told our staff that we'll close today too. I have something important to discuss with you." Sarah seemed really serious so I sat in front of her in one of our tables.

Sarah sighed and clasped her fingers while discussing "Harley I just want to be truthful to you. I think my money went stale in this business."

Hmmm. What makes her think so? That's not entirely true. Based on our books and the timeframe that we've been open, everything is actually going smoothly. Nobody should expect return of investment in a snap.

I just kept quiet as she continued, "I'd like to make a proposition. I also feel that handling the business may be too much for you. Since you have a lot of personal issues going on right now."

"What are you suggesting to happen?" I asked.

"There's not much profit as is. And this business isn't going anywhere. But to help you, I'll offer to buy your shares for at least 50% of your original capital." Sarah states.

"Huh? Then what? How about the shop?" I asked in complete awe.

I was the first to suggest opening this shop. The idea came from me. And I don't really see the reason why she should buy my shares. For what?

"I'll come up with whatever. I'll somehow figure out how to keep this shop alive. For now, just settle your personal matters. Leave it to me." Sarah states with this firm resolve in her eyes.

"No. I'm fine Sarah. You don't need to buy my shares. Let's keep it going." I told her and reached for her hand. Maybe something else is up in her personal life?

Sarah pulled her hand away from me and stated "That's not an option for me. If you won't agree for me to buy the business, let's just close it."

"Why so sudden? What's wrong? The shop isn't really bankrupt. If not, it's slowly thriving." I asked. Because really. This doesn't make sense in all aspects. Much more for the business side of things.

Sarah bit her lip and looked away from me.

Then she said, "I can't work with you anymore."

Huh? Why?
But we're bestfriends, right?

My eyes began to swell a little.
The feeling of being unwanted.
Feeling of being hated.
Feeling of your bestfriend suddenly wanting to break up with you.
Was slowly building up in me.

It's making more sense to me.
This isn't about the shop.
It's about the two of us.

"Why?" I asked.

"It's just- I think the shop isn't profiting well anymore. Besides, you- and also-" she sighed deeply after trying to explain. Then followed, "I was just trying to help you out. I'm worried about you. Since you have a lot of personal issues. I'm willing to pay-"

She's making excuses.
That's not true.

With her incoherent statements and me, catching on fast with her intentions, anger started to build up in me. I can't let this happen. Much more so for the shop.

"Pay me? 50%? But that's not enough for all the effort I put in this shop. How cheap do you think my intellectual rights are?" I answered in a boasting tone.

I stood up and tucked my arms to be folded to my body and said, "You can't get this shop from me. If you want to separate ties with me then you leave."