pool day (f/m)

"Gimme!"

Maya giggled to herself as the smaller being reached for her hand. Slowly, she lowered her pointer finger until the digit hovered about his tuft of hair. The human rolled his eyes, reaching above his head to feel for the dollop of sunscreen. He grabbed fistfuls of it before watching her rub the remaining in her hands before spreading it around her neck. She smiled cheekily.

"You're adorable," she cooed.

Francis wasn't amused. "I'm telling Emily."

The giantess scoffed, her grin betraying her true feelings. She shrugged. "If you want to tell my girlfriend that I think you're cute, be my guest."

The smaller being pursed his lips, his even stare attempting to pierce through her nonchalance. It wasn't working. "No," he said slowly, "that you wouldn't let me get sunscreen."

She gave him another shrug. "You got it eventually, didn't you?"

He crossed his arms. "At the cost of my pride."

Her grin widened. "You're queer? Welcome to the club, buddy!"

He groaned, watching the giantess stretch before her gaze fell on the water. Her shadow already loomed over his tiny frame, but watching how her shadow expanded with her hands up high made him realize how truly small he was compared to her. He frowned.

"I'm straight."

"Couldn't be me."

Maya watched as, despite her friend's best efforts, a small smile formed on his features. It had been hard getting the tinier being to open up, and even harder to get him comfortable. But she knew that deep down Francis liked hanging out with her, even if she pushed his buttons more than Emily did.

Her gaze returned to her pool before doubling back to the human. He must've noticed her eyes moving, because when they rested back on the smaller being he had his hands held up to his chest.

"No way," he breathed, shrinking back when Maya nodded. "I just put sunscreen on!"

"Afraid of a little burn?" She teased.

"Easy for you to say. You're like...ten times my size."

She chuckled.

"...and a lot less pale," he added, his gaze fixed the table he sat on.

"You're like, what...5 feet tall?" She asked.

"Almost 6," He grumbled.

"Exactly! See - you can handle a little bit of water!"

The other being looked up at the giantess, confusion etched in his features. Maya bit her lip. He was a lot paler than her, and even though their dimensions were near identical, she didn't want to risk too much with his tinier stature. Especially if the sunlight exposure somehow proved fatal.

She winced. Better safe than sorry, then.

"Alright, alright," she managed, her earlier demeanor dissolved into sincerity. "I see your point. I'll go in for like ten minutes, then I'll come and carry you with me to the shallow end. If you start to feel weird, just tell me so I can take you back in."

She watched as Francis's shoulders fell slightly. Good. He wasn't as tense, and they could still enjoy the beach day together. A win-win. She gave him a reassuring smile as she passed him, opting to jump into the pool from the side instead of using the stairs.

The ten minutes went by fast. One second she was swimming warm up laps, the next she was forcing herself up the steps, careful not to splash the smaller guy from all the pool water. She couldn't but smile as he scrambled on her hands with no hesitation.