Better Luck Next Time

Kel's pov;;

I message AUBREY after hearing the news, she's been acting weirder around me lately, it makes me feel these weird feelings as well. Like as if butterflies are bouncing off the walls of my stomach. Or as if something is jumping in my stomach.

AUBREY was one of the people that was there for me when SUNNY died, so maybe that's why. I'm not sure why I can't just be happy and move on from SUNNY. He'd want me to be happy, wouldn't he?

"KEL, hurry up. We don't have all day.", HERO said, holding VIDA, our baby sister. "Alright alright! Coming!" I quickly say, running out of my room in a suit, it was my cousins quinceañera.

"Date prisa, no tenemos todo el día. ¡Aún tenemos que conseguirle una tarjeta de cumpleaños a tu prima!" my mom had yelled, at this point I wanted to stay, why was everything going so fast today?!

"Yea KEL, hurry up.",my dad had said. He was barely putting gel in his hair though, so he had no room to talk. But he was also the one who knew the most English and Spanish so he could translate.

"Ok ok! I just need my shoes! God..",I say, I know that if my mom heard me, I'll get yelled at, luckily she didn't hear me. I put on my shoes and then run to the car. I didn't give one flying fuck if my outfit got wrinkled or if it looked messy, I just didn't want to get yelled at for being late.

"You look great KEL, now put on your seat belt.", HERO said, I simply wave him off, buckling up.

-Time Skip-

We get back home from the quinceañera, and oh boy am I tired. When we get home I help my mom step inside, while HERO helps our dad. They both drank a lot this time because HERO got his drivers license and would be able to drive us home. Vida had walked inside on her own.

I put my mom in her bed, her getting herself ready, I then leave to check on Vida. She fell asleep on the couch. I pick her up and take her to my room to sleep tonight. HERO started sleeping in our guest room, so our room was now Vida's and mine.

I place her on her bed, then walking to my closet and taking out a undershirt. Then grabbing basketball shorts and walking to the bathroom. Starting the water, then grabbing my phone to play music.

I enter the shower, just feeling the warm water hit my face felt relaxing, as I listened to Mitski, just thinking about what I could've done to save SUNNY. If I checked up on him more, it wouldn't have happened. If I talked to him more, maybe he would still be here. I ruined everything.

BASIL had told us the big secret with MARI at SUNNY's funeral, which just made HERO cry even more. What could I have done to prevent that from happening?

By the time I was out of my thoughts, I was dressed already. So I brush my teeth and wash my face, then going to my room to sleep.

-Time Skip-

The next day I continue with my normal routine. Wake up, eat, brush teeth, wash face, put on deodorant, put on basketball jersey, put on shoes, take Vida to the park with me, play basketball, get ice cream, go home, take a shower, and then eat dinner. The rest of the day changes. But today was different, BASIL was planting in the park.

"Oh! Hey lily pad! How are you doing on this fine day?" I asked, BASIL looked up at me, blushing.

"Oh.....uhm....hey KEL..!" BASIL responded, I simply smiled, he hadn't answered my question. "I- Uhm......I'm was doing fine, but I think seeing you just made my day better. So I'm doing great KEL.", he said with a smile, you could tell it was genuine. "Oh..! Is that, uhm, Vida?" he asked, then pointing at my sister. "Yup! That's the girl!" I say, then looking at her playing in the sand.

"So what are you up to?!" I say, I guess I sounded hyper, which caught BASIL off guard.

"KEL, deja de ser tan ruidoso. Eres tan molesto. Asustarás a todos.",my mother said. "She said, KEL, stop being so loud. You are so annoying. You'll scare everyone away.", my father translates.

"Right sorry."

"KEL? KEL?! Are you okay?" BASIL asks me, shaking me out of my trance,"Oh! Yea I'm fine, sorry.",I quickly respond.

"Hey! Actually, would you like to come over for dinner? We'd be happy to have you!" I ask, he smiles. A red tint spreads across his face.

"I-I'll see if I can go..!" he says happily, just for another voice to interrupt our moment. "BASIL! These flowers aren't gonna plant themselves!"

"Oh! R-right! Bye KEL! I'll see you later!" he says, then looking around and kissing my cheek quickly, face as red as a tomato. "U-uhm! Bye!" he says, running off to another patch to plant in.

"Gay!" I hear Vida say behind me. "*sigh* Vida, it was just a friend thing! Keep it a secret I'll buy you ice cream when I'm done practicing!"

"Otay!" she says, continuing to play.

Word count;; 898