Chapter 15 - Text messages

Back at the cabin, Harry opened the door for me as I stumbled inside with my skis clamped under my arm. They fell to the floor with a loud thud and I sunk down beside them.

"Rough day huh? And it's only lunch time." Harry said and shut the door.

"Yeah." I replied and began to unclasp my ski boots. My fingers were stiff as wire, frustrated I dropped the hook and it clasped back together. I looked at my shaky hands, if I observed them for a few seconds they looked multiple.

"Urgh..!" I grunted and gave it another try. Harry shook his head to get the snow out of his hair and the flakes drizzled over me and my boots making me look like I had a severe case of dandruff. He crouched to give me a hand with the stubborn boots. Harry unhooked a buckle for every time I blinked and he was done before I had the chance to even take a proper breath.

"You're cute when you're crotchety." He smiled. "What time is it exaclty?"

"It's..." I hesitated and looked around the room for a clock. Meanwhile I was busy doing that, Harry took the oppertunity to pull my ski boots off in one sweep.

"Ouch!" I whined when the sudden temperature change from cold shoes to heated floor made my feet feel like they were going through a sitting in the electrical chair.

"Harry!" I yelped and rubbed my feet to make the pain go away.

"I had to distract you." Harry answered and put my boots in place on the shoe shelf. "It's like pulling of a patch. If you do it yourself on the count of three you know what's coming. You'll thank me later."

I massaged my feet for a good five mintues, before moving on to throw myself on the wide double bed. My phone buzzed on the nightstand.

"Not today." I whispered to myself and tossed my phone on the sheets.

"What was that?" I hadn't noticed Harry standing infront of my with a cup of tea between the palm of his hands. Careful not to spill, he sat down next to me waiting for me to answer.

"Nothing." I lied down on my back and stared at the ceiling. Harry didn't give up though. He stayed quiet, one of his many strategies to get people to talk.

"It's nothing." I assured him without eye contact. Bad move. Now he was sure something was up. He still didn't say a word. Instead he stared me down without as much as a blink. I tried to avoid looking at him, but it drove me mad.

"Fine!" I gave in and sat back up. Harry seemed pleased to get his way as a wry smile spread across his face.

"It's my dad."