Chapter 13

Eli watched as each jet left one by one. She watched as two of the most important people in her life go off to save the world. Eli sat in her jet listening through her helmet to Mav calling out commands as they head towards enemy territory. Eli sat there on the edge of her seat while listening to Phoenix talking to Mav. Just then she heard Payback tell Rooster to speed up so the bandits don't see him. 

Rooster speed up! There's no time for this. Eli said to herself. Just then she heard something from Rooster. 

"Talk to me dad." This made Eli begin to tear up but they passed as soon as she hears Payback say something. 

"Jesus Rooster not that fast!" Payback yells

Eli breathed a sigh of relief hearing this. She listened patiently to the conversation hoping that  they wouldn't need her. She listened as Phoenix and Bob talked to Mav about the laser making sure it was operational before going and dropping the missiles on the vent. She assumed it was since Mav said, "Bombs away!" And flew out of the gorge towards the enemy SAMs. Rooster, Payback, and Fanboy made there way up to the mountainside ready to perform miracle 2 as Mav put it. They made their way onto the Gorge ready to drop their missiles When Eli heard, 

"Where's my laser, Fanboy?" Rooster asked 

"I can't get a lock, I can't get a lock!" Fanboy yelled 

"Screw it! I'm eyeballing it." Rooster proclaimed. Before Fanboy could protest, Rooster let his missiles fly. They sped out of gorge as fast as they could hitting the SAMs on there way out to a dogfight that would impact everyone significantly. All Eli could her was a mix of everyone defending themselves from the enemy SAMs. 

"Damn it! I'm out of flares!" She heard her twin say through the system. Maverick heard him and used his flares to save Rooster's ass. But all Eli heard was her brother yelling Mav's name. There was nothing they could do for him. Cyclone ordered Rooster and everyone back to the carrier but Eli knew Rooster wouldn't come back after Mav saved his life. The radio went dead silent causing Hangman to request to go help but his request was denied. She had lost her brother and she wasn't going to have it. Meanwhile, Rooster had ejected from his jet after being hit by that missile. He heard someone running towards him. 

"Hey you okay?" Mav asked 

"I'm fine." Next thing Rooster knew was he was on his ass. 

"What the hell?" Rooster asked 

"You think I took that missile for you to be down here? You should be back on the carrier by now with your sister!" Mav yelled 

"I saved your life!" Rooster yelled 

"No! I saved yours that's the whole point! What were you thinking?" Mav said

"You told me not to think!" Rooster yelled before throwing his arms in the air. 

"Well it's good to see you." Mav said 

"It's good to see you too. So what's the plan?" Rooster knew that he would regret the answer to the that question the minute he saw the look on Mav's face. 

"Seriously? An F-14? We don't even know if that bag of ass can fly. This is the plan?" Rooster states 

"Yep." Mav says before starting the walk down the mountain side. Rooster followed him down the mountain side to get closer to the demolished runway. They walked towards the F-14 noticing all the guys around them before they started running. When they got there, Maverick gave Rooster instructions on what to do once the dial hit 120. After hitting 120, Rooster ran around the hanger disconnecting things from the jet. He then jumped on the rear wing to get inside the canopy. 

"Holy shit this things old." Rooster said before the canopy closed and Mav stopped the plane looking at the cratered runway. He knew there was only one thing to do.