Seventeen

Maddy's POV:
----

I held Willow's hand all throughout class, hardly able to concentrate on the animation I was supposed to be working on. My eyes were focused on my phone screen, watching the number of streams on our song go up more and more.

"Five thousand..." I whispered to Willow, feeling my heart pounding in my chest. "Just hit five thousand..."

Willow looked over, smiling and squeezing my hand tightly. "I'm so happy for you three." She squealed softly. "Have you checked your social media at all?"

I shook my head, my stuff was all private anyways. Yet I was still scared to see what could be on there. "Not yet. The only people I've let follow me are Alex and Liza, the girl who's kinda been assigned to me."

"Daya said she went private too for now." Willow said as she leaned against my shoulder, sketching on the drawing tablet in front of her. "Can I come with you guys this weekend? To see you guys record the rest of the album?"

"I'll ask Alex." I promised her, finally putting my phone down to work on my actual assignments. Willow smiled and moved herself under my arm, swinging her legs as we worked and humming the tune of our song happily.

I was distracted once more when my phone started buzzing repeatedly. I immediately grabbed it, finding a ton of texts in our band groupchat.

Sunshine: Maddy

Sunshine: Alyssa

Sunshine: You guys won't fucking believe this shit

Sunshine: Alex got our song on the radio

My eyes went wide when I read the texts, gently nudging Willow so she could see too. She gasped softly, and I quickly went to check the number of streams again. Just passed seven thousand.

I wasn't sure how to process this. Sure this was something we dreamed of, but we always had this voice in the back of our heads saying it wouldn't happen. If the recording process and the filming process wasn't enough to show that it was really happening, then this was definitely enough.

My phone buzzed again, and this time it was Alex.

Alex: Interview with an entertainment news site this Sunday! I'll give you girls a rundown of how it'll go on Saturday

My heart sped up. This was so much to process. My knee bounced as I tried not to get fidgety, texting Alex back to thank him for everything before texting both Daya and Alyssa.

Willow must've noticed I wasn't able to concentrate, placing a hand on my arm. "Come on, Maddy. We can finish this up later. Let's go see Daya and Alyssa."

I nodded quickly, placing my stuff back in my bag and swinging it over my shoulder. Willow grabbed my hand and we quickly and quietly slipped out of class. It was hard to contain my excitement now that everything was finally setting in. I was so happy and thankful. Happy to be alive and thankful to have such amazing people around me.

I smiled when I saw Daya out in the courtyard, holding Willow's hand tighter and rushing to her. I practically threw myself into my best friend's arms, wrapping mine around her neck and pulling myself close. "Sunshine~"

Daya laughed, squeezing me tightly and making me squeak. "Baby~" She cooed back, moving one arm out for someone else. I soon felt Alyssa being pulled into our tight embrace as well, her arm draped over my shoulders. "And our little 'Lyssa."

I snuggled between the two of them, gazing up at them in admiration. They had no idea how much they meant to me. When they eventually pulled away I heard June squeal in excitement, looking over to see her rushing over and throwing her arms around her girlfriend.