six

Calum

Since Celeste heard my song the other day, I've been avoiding her. I constantly used my school assignment as a means to keep my distance from her, but I've been internally begging to see her.

School has gradually become more stressful, on top of the foreign environment and everyone speaking to me in French. I needed to see Celeste, to say the least. However, I was so embarrassed due to the incident and almost kissing her on the roof. I knew she also felt the tension between us, and decided it would be best if we kept our distance.

"Cal? You alright, pal?" The soft-spoken boy asked as he lightly tapped my shoulder. I looked over at Luke, my project partner, as he nervously grabbed my attention.

"Sorry. Just a little out of it." I sighed as I returned my attention to our 3D model.

"Didn't sleep?" He asked carefully.

I shrugged, "More like- too much on my mind."

"C'est vrai. If you want to take a break, I can continue this for us." He excused me.

"No, don't be ridiculous. This is our project. Of course I'm gonna help." I insisted.

Luke nodded in response.

"Anyway- c'est vrai? Do you speak French?" I asked inquisitively.

He nodded again, "Yeah. I've been living here for a couple years now. But I guess you could tell that I'm Aussie." 

"Yeah," I chuckled. "I guess I know an Aussie when I see one."

"So you're just here for the year, yeah?" Luke asked.

I nodded, "Mhm. I wish I didn't have to go, though."

"I know. Paris is so beautiful. The people are so kind, too." He explained as he added visuals to our project.

"I haven't explored Paris much. Right now, it's the people that're making me wanna stay longer." I commented.

"Oh yeah?" Luke asked as he turned his attention to me. "You meet someone?"

I felt my cheeks become hot, "Just some girl."

"It's always some girl, buddy." He laughed, "Just don't fall in love. You guys are gonna have to say goodbye forever in a couple of months."

I sat back in my chair as I let his comment sink in. We only have a couple of months before we have to say goodbye forever. I guess I should make it worth while.

-

After working on the project with Luke, I quickly made my way to the dormitories. As I walked there, I wasted no time at all as I made my way as fast as I could. But once I approached the door, I froze. I could feel warm sweat build up in the palms of my hands as my heart began racing.

No, I can't back out now.

With slight hesitation, I knocked on the door in front of me with a heavy fist. I nervously stood with my eyes glued to the ground beneath me as I waited for the door to be answered. It felt like an eternity as I waited. Is anyone even home?

"Hello?" A deep voice answered as the door swung open. I looked up to see a young male around the same age.

"Sorry- Is Celeste here?" I asked as I looked past the boy to see into the room.

"Dunno man, go check." The boy said as he stepped aside to let me in. I entered the dorm after his gesture and made my way to Celeste's room down the hall. I halted in front of her door and lightly knocked on the wooden frame.