High by the beach

HIGH BY THE BEACH

I HAD ENDED UP AT A PARTY, a party in a grand house on figure eight. Not just anyone's grand house but Topper Thornton's. 

Earlier that evening I had been walking down the empty streets with Carmen. And when we heard the loud music in the distance it was like she automatically knew the way there. At least she wasn't shy about entering the home, she just walked right in. 

Today really wasn't the day for me to try and handle alcohol. But Carmen insisted on a few drinks. Normally I would have been living for this but today my head was in a spin, I was for one already hungover but I was also coming to terms with my feelings for JJ

Were they more than platonic?

"Here try this!" Carmen said, holding two blue shots in her hands, handing one to me. I didn't protest so I just downed it, "See your gonna feel so much better soon,"

"Why wouldn't I be feeling good?" I asked.

"Because I can see it on your face, dummy,"

"Oh," I hadn't realized that it was so obvious.

A few minutes passed and I started to feel the alcohol kick in. And I could clearly see that it had on Carmen too, just a little more since she had the double amount of shots. 

Carmen made her way towards me from across the room with a wide smile on her face. 

As she stumbled her way towards me I could hear her mutter something, "Let's go get high,"

"Go get high?" I repeated as she grabbed my shoulders, slightly shaking me.

"Yes, yes, getting high." she said, taking my hand.

And before I knew it we were headed outside and down to the beach. Carmen was laughing the entire way at something she was trying to tell me, I think it was a joke. But her trying to say it was funny enough for me to laugh like a manic anyways. 

"Now for the fun part," Carmen said as we both sat in the sand, facing the somewhat loud waves. She then took out a small silver box from her black handbag. 

"What's in that?" I asked her. She didn't answer, instead she opened it revealing a few candy-looking pills. 

"Candy," Carmen then whispered in a seductive voice before opening her mouth, placing a pink heart-shaped one on her tongue, "Want one?"

"Okay," I said in a low voice, sticking my tongue out for her to place it there. 

The next minutes ticked by fast and 20 minutes later I felt something in me change. 

I felt happy, even though I had been feeling low all day. But it was a weird kind of happiness and I didn't know if it was a good or a bad thing, but at that moment everything felt good. My thoughts about JJ were suddenly gone and all I could think of was how ecstatic I felt and how weird everything around me looked. 

"What's so funny?" Carmen asked, her voice had changed, and she was laughing. I didn't know I had laughed before her.

"Everything," I finally managed to get out in-between my hysterical laughter.  

"I. Know right?" Carmen said, standing up and walking away from me. Leaving me high by the beach.

"Where are you going," I said as loud as I could, it went better this time since I had stopped laughing. 

"To have fun," Carmen answered, reaching her arms up in the air. I watched her walk away until she went into the house and I couldn't see her anymore.

My eyes trailed back to the ocean. It was beautiful with all the waves flushing into shore, the way it glittered in the light of the dazzling full moon. It was absolutely mesmerizing to look at (or stare in my case). 

 I felt possessed by it and had a sudden need to be in it. So fully dressed and high I ran down to the ocean at full speed, which was now lowered due to my previous drug intake.

Once my feet met the water I felt my whole body tingle, I, without a care in the world suddenly threw myself into the sea, the thought didn't even cross my mind before it happened. At first I didn't even feel the water touching my skin, everything just tickled until I felt the sudden need for air. 

I tried to make my way up to the surface again but failed, the ocean seemed deeper, it felt like the way to the surface was so far away yet so close, nothing was one thing everything was both. But when my head turned downwards I couldn't see the bottom at first it was so deep but when I looked again it looked so close, almost as if I had fallen down to the bottom and couldn't get back up.

A hopelessness washed over me as my vision started to blur, I didn't even try to reach the surface anymore, it felt too far away.

That's when it all went black.

-

-

A/N: This is bad, like really bad. I KNOW. But I've never been high on ecstasy so... yeah. Anyways I'm sorry for the bad updates I've been on vacation.  

+ the name of this chapter is a reference to high by the beach by Lana Del Rey <3