Chapter 2 - Painkiller

"Sitting all alone, mouth filled with gum, in the driveway." --Billie Eilish, bellyache

You sat in the driveway of the Avengers compound, hunched over a notebook.

Your back was definitely sunburned, and your hoop earrings were starting to get hot. But you didn't car.

You were wearing a white tank-top, jean shorts, hoop earrings, and black converse. Your hair was down, but you pushed it to one side of you, revealing your back.

You were writing in a notebook, a song you were writing.

"Y/n, you're gonna get sunburned," Steve said. You turned around, and scoffed. He was wearing a white shirt with jeans, and sunglasses.

"I don't care," You said, closing your notebook.

"You should," Steve said. He sat down next to you. "What are you writing?" He nodded at the notebook and pen in your hand. You scrunched up your nose.

"Nothing," You said.

"Well, can't be nothing," He said. "It's always something."

You scoffed, and pulled out a pack of gum. You threw two pieces into your mouth, and started to chew.

"Well, sometimes it's nothing," You said. Steve laughed quietly, and looked out into the city.

"You ever wonder what's life like outside the Compound?" Steve asked.

"All the time," You said. It was quiet, for a bit.

"Y/n," Steve said. "We're worried for you."

You sighed, rolling your eyes. This covo, again.

"You've said that a million times," You said.

"Because it's true," Steve said. "Can you tell me what's happening?"

You popped a bubble with your gum, then placed your notebook and pen on the ground beside you. You stretched out your legs, crossing them, then leaned back.

"What do you want me to say, Steve?" You said. "Other than I get sick or feel sick after missions, and just want to throw up."

"There has to be more to that," Steve said.

"What if there is?" You said. "What'chu gonna do?"

Steve was quiet. He was thinking.

You scoffed. "That's what I thought."

You grabbed your notebook and stood up, turning on your heels.

"Y/n," Steve said. "Wait."

"I'm done waiting," You said, and you marched back into the Compound.

The Emergency Meeting siren blared once you stepped inside, making you drop your notebook.

"Leave it!" Steve said, running inside behind you. "Let's go!"

You guys rushed to the meeting room, the Avengers already there.

"Where's Thor and Loki?" Steve said.

"Back in Asgard," Tony said. "They'll be back soon. I think. JARVIS, tell us what's happening."

"There is a robbery at Key Bank," JARVIS reported. "The invader seems to be Brock Rumlow and Helmut Zemo."

"Shit," You said.

"Language," Steve said. "Avengers, suit up,"

You sighed, then went to your room quickly. You forgot about your notebook.