Chapter One: Possom Kindgdom

***ignore all errors. I haven't edited yet.***

*unedited* (word count:)

RONNIE

I have three hours and thirty-two minutes until I can officially go home. A twelve hour shift is cool and all but I just got back from maternity leave and I'm trying to balance college. I normally work from one in the afternoon to ten at night but I picked up an extra shift for extra cash.

"How are the twins?" Lita asks before biting into her steak fry.

"Good and healthy," I reply. "What about your kids? I know one them just started high school."

"My oldest is numb to the life of a teenager at this point and my youngest is happy and ecstatic about high school," Lita replies. "I have two totally different kids."

"My egg donor had my sisters and I close together. Valerie was born in 1996 and Jade was born in 1997, and I was born in 1998. We all have a birthday in October," I reply. "Valerie was the athlete and Jade was the artsy type."

"What about you? What were you in high school?" She asks.

"I was on drill team until we relocated. We left Texas after I told everyone I was pregnant. I don't know why we had to leave but we had to go," I reply.

"We are about to have to leave. I'll go pay and meet you in the rig," Lita murmurs.

I take a sip of my drink letting the cold, sweet ice tea flow down my throat. I clean my area and leave the bar. I go get in the rig and buckle up as we wait for a call to come in.

"Why did you choose this profession?" Lita blurts out catching me off guard.

I look over at her as she glances at her phone. Lita and I have never worked together until tonight. We know nothing about each other on a personal level except about her kids and mine.

"I like helping people," I reply. "I plan on becoming a paramedic. I didn't want to be a nurse or doctor. I needed something quick."

"You've been doing this for how long?" She asks as she looks at me with a raised brow.

"I graduated early so since January but had to take maternity leave. I guess five months," I reply.

"I'm surprised you've lasted this long," she replies.

"I have babies to take care of and I'm not going to rely on my father to pay for everything they need," I reply.

"I meant mentally and emotionally," she replies. "This job takes a toll on you."

" I know," I mutter.

I peer out of the window as a call comes in. It's probably nothing bad. We take off down the road as the sirens wail. We come down the highway faster than need be for an emergency. Lights flash from up ahead as we slow down. It looks like there are several cars involved.

We come to a stop and get out. An officer approaches us with those knowing eyes. The eyes that only know carnage.

"Two drunk drivers in separate cars were racing down the highway and collided with a truck with three young adults inside," the officer informs us. "As of right now, there aren't any deaths but we do have more ambulances coming."

We get what we need off the rig before rushing over to the scene. We split up and I get to my first patient. He sits against the damaged guardrail with his head bent down. A black cowboy hat is barely sitting on the top of his head.

"Hi," I murmur. "Can I check you out?"

He looks up at me with tired blue eyes. He has a cut on his cheek just below his left eye. He stands up but can barely keep his balance. He starts to lean backwards but I catch him. I screech as This huge man topples over on top of me.