Chapter Seventeen: Because You Loved Me

*unedited* (word count:)

CLAY

"She made a list of items she needs for her stay," the doctor informs me as he hands me the small list. "She's doing really good. She has found her groove and is settling in. She's taking her medicine and talking to her therapist."

"Last week you said that she would be getting out soon," I reply. "Is that going to happen?"

"At this point, Mister Mason, it's up to her therapist," he replies. "If she left here she would need round-the-clock care. You would have to watch her take her medicine and make sure she goes through her everyday routine. She will be a full-time job."

"If she's doing good, why does she need me to hover over her every second of the day?" I ask. "Is the baby okay? Is that making it worse?"

"Right now, sir, she is not one hundred percent at her best. She still needs a little work and more techniques to handle her invasive thoughts," he replies. "The baby is fine and healthy. It's a girl, by the way. She was happy about that."

"Can I see her?" I ask.

"Yes," he replies. "Follow me."

I follow behind the small man as we walk through the corridors. We come to a big area with several couches and tvs. There are small tables that are spread throughout the room.

I spot Ronnie sitting in a chair with a book in her hand. Her red hair is pulled into a bun and her face is bare and paler than normal. She's wearing a navy blue long sleeve shirt and black jogging pants.

"She writes all day when she's not talking with her therapist. She has gone through all of our journals here," he informs me.

We slowly approach her catching her attention. She looks up at me but it's like she's not the same woman she was before. Her eyes don't hold any light in them. It's like she's dead on the inside.

"Hey," I murmur.

"Hey," she replies.

I sit across from her as she sets the book down. It's leather bound and has no writing on it. It's thick and the pages look a bit old.

"How do you feel?" I get straight to the point.

"The medicine keeps me sane, therapy is helping, and the writing helps," she replies. "I'm trying to keep a strict schedule and slowly incorporate you and the kids into that schedule."

"The kids are great," he replies. "School is going well. They are making straight A's. They said that you reward them for that so I take them to do whatever they want. I've learned some ASL for Josephine."

"Thank you for not leaving me," she murmurs. "It means a lot."

"I'm not going anywhere," I reply.

"You're the only one that has come to see me," she replies.

"Do you want me to be honest with you?" I ask.

"Yes. I always want you to be honest with me," she replies.

"Your mom saw you that night in the bathtub. She is recovering. Your dad is helping with that," I reply. "Jade went back to New York the first chance she got. Things got heated between her and Dominic. Valerie has been sending cards and pictures."

"The kids?" She asks.

"They want to come to see you but they won't let them in," I reply. "I tried the other day."

She just nods. I know she misses them and I know she really wants to see them. She will be out in no time we can return back to a newer normal.

"Have you thought of any names?" I ask.