Chapter Eight: A Drop In The Ocean

*unedited* (word count:) Five Years Later...

RONNIE

"Let's go, Drayton!" I yell from the bottom of the stairs. "You're making us late!"

Drayton walks slowly down the stairs as he mean mugs me. Josephine stands beside me fidgeting with her fingers. Drayton takes his backpack from me and we go out to my car.

I get them in their seats and get the car. We leave the house and make our way to the school. We get in the long drop-off line and wait.

It's been a long five years. I have matured and grown as has my babies. They couldn't look more different. Drayton is kind of small and thin with shaggy brown hair. Josephine still has her red hair and is quite chunky.

I did something five years ago that I don't regret. I might regret it one day but I don't regret it right now. Ty wanted something but didn't want to do the work to get it. So I helped him with a solution and we went through with it. Ty wanted kids without making the kids so I let him adopt them and give them his last name. They know him as their dad and no one else.

"Now, remember, your dad is going to pick you up from school," I speak and sign.

Josephine just nods as Drayton ignores me. He's not an early bird. He's a pain in my ass.

"I love you," I sign to them.

We pull up and they get out. I drive off and drive down to the diner. I grab my purse and phone then head inside. I get a booth and order. My phone rings slightly alarming me. I look at my phone and see that it's Ty calling me. I answer the phone and put it to my ear.

"Guess who is back in town," he murmurs.

"Who? Your girlfriend? Your parents?" I ask.

"Clay," he replies.

"No shit?" I ask.

"Yeah, he just stopped by the office and talked to me," he replies. "He's changed a lot."

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"You'll just have to see for yourself. I invited him to your Halloween/birthday party," he replies.

"I'm at the diner about to eat breakfast before work," I reply. "I don't have long."

"Okay, okay," he replies. "What time do you get off tonight?"

"Six. Don't forget to get the kids," I reply.

"Okay, I won't," he murmurs. "Bye."

I set my phone down as someone stands in front of me. I look up and see a very, very tall man standing there. His brown hair reaches his his shoulders almost to mid-back. He has a long thick beard and pretty blue eyes. Tattoos are painted on his thick, muscular body.

"May I sit?" He asks.

I nod. He sits across from me and smiles. The waitress brings my food and drink before walking away. He has changed appearance wise but has he changed personality and maturity wise?

"How has the last five years been?" I ask.

"Crazy," he replies. "I just moved back here."

"Why?" I ask.

"My grandfather bought a construction company and wanted me to work for him," he replies.

"How nice," I murmur as I start eating.

"You don't seem to want to talk to me," he infers.

"I have thirty minutes or so until I have to clock in at work," I reply.