Part Four, Chapter Fifty-Seven: A Glitch in the System

Based on the Volition Inc.™ game: Saints Row IV™

EVANORA

"Boss, there are ZIN troops headed your way but... I cannot read their signal."

"What do you mean, 'cannot read their signal'?"

Why was I doing all of this? Having to work my ass off in virtual Steelport – a simulation used by Zinyak to harm us; which we used to harm him – while Kinzie sits behind a screen in the real world, only having to monitor me as I risked my life for this.

"Different code, ma'am. It's not what they tend to use."

Matt intervened calmly before Kinzie could reply to my aggressive comment.

"Miller, can't you not meddle in our conversation?"

I rolled my eyes, they not being able to see me though. I just decided to cut them off, I could not stand their banter anymore. Ever since we got Matt on the team, he and Kinzie did nothing but fight. It was a constant battle between the two, who was the better and smarter. I couldn't keep up with them anymore and should I die because of some weird new ZIN avatars, it's gonna be their fault.

And talking of avatars: in the simulation, I had the freedom to choose however I looked. At least once Kinzie got to hack the code. Every single person has one and usually, it describes how they look in real life except if you chose to alter it and I had decided to go funky.

I had picked a white trench coat with a black and cropped t-shirt underneath. A pair of black ¾ cargo pants and plateau boots with thick heels. I had the access to all kinds of weapons – only had to give Kinzie the signal – but I decided to stick to a pair of railguns for most of the time which were holstered to the side of each thigh. What I had done though that was really out of my comfort zone but wanted to do nevertheless was chose bright pink hair that I kept in a bun on the back of my hair with two black, bone chopsticks poked through.

I switched channels, only for Viola to hear. We had decided to have a private one for life and rants and when I cannot bear Kinzie and Matt anymore because of the increasing fights the two have which infuriated me more and more.

"Hey."

She said with that calm and gentle voice that I was beginning to like on her. It suited her.

"Hey..."

I shortly replied, still being a little out of my mind but her voice gave me comfort.

"...can at least you tell me a little bit more about the mysterious signals without breaking out into an ego-fight with anyone."

I sighed upon which she chuckled sweetly. I enjoyed her laugh very much. It was tender and timid. Something beautiful that she tried to show as little as possible.

"No, I'm afraid not. Matt and Kinzie are the experts on this, the only thing I can tell is that it's not even a minor sequence that has changed. It's basically the entire code except for the ZIN- part at the front. The only thing we can do is wait and see what will show up."

I sighed once more. This entire adventure was ten times more exhausting than any other gang or organization we had to take down before. Back then, we were at least bound to the common laws of nature. Here, anything could happen.

"Guess, I'll have to wait then..."

I replied with yet another sigh.

"You'll see them anytime soon. Break legs!"

And with that she disconnected herself. It was our rule so the ZIN could not trace the signal back to the ship. Whenever the troops showed up, we'd disconnect the channel and they would only reconnect once I cleared them out.