I Know Her Face

Inspired by I Know Those Eyes/This Man Is Dead from The Count of Monte Cristo Musical

Caitlyn stood off to the side of the ball as she watched the guests do their own thing. She hated these damn stuffy affairs. Too many people. Too many people that only came to this event because they wanted the bragging rights of attending a high class affair.

Guests toasting, chatting, laughing about whatever in their fancy suits and dresses.

"Introducing Lord Vi Wolfe!" Said a voice.

The blue haired woman looked to see a sight that made her heart stop.

A woman dressed in a suit of the finest make, her hair slicked back as she walked in a way that brimmed with confidence.

Caitlyn just stood there as she walked down to the last step to the clapping of the guests. It can't possibly be her...but that face...that hair...

She knew it anywhere.

Her legs moved in Vi's direction. Her mind was wondering what she was doing but her heart. Her heart was telling—no, demanding she keep going.

"Excuse me," she said to some of the partygoers as she followed the woman who went around bowing before her guests. She was going in the direction of the balcony. If only this damn sea of people would stop rising.

The woman moved past some of the other guests. She was so close.

Right as she was about to reach her, a partygoer with blond hair. "Madame Kiramman!" He said with a grin.

Caitlyn had to hold herself back from swearing as her view of Vi was blocked. "Lord Salo..." she forced a smile.

"How marvelous it is to see you at such an affair this evening." He said. "Where is Lord Talis? He usually attends events with you."

She gritted her teeth. "He's chatting with some of the other partygoers I'm sure. Now if you'll excuse me," with those words, she swiftly moved around him, her eyes moving around to catch Vi once more.

She was in luck. The pink haired woman was walking towards the balcony doors.

Her feet moved swiftly as she watched the woman make her way there, finally outside.

Caitlyn followed and closed the door. "Vi."

The woman looked at her over her shoulder. "How can I help you?"

"Vi...it's me. Caitlyn..." she said as she walked up to her. "Don't you know me?"

There was something in her eyes. Something Caitlyn couldn't describe. Was it shock? Amazement?

After a moment of silence, Vi cleared her throat. "You're confused." Was all she said before making her way towards the doors again.

"I know I'm not confused. I know your eyes, Violet please look at me..." the blue haired woman took her hand.

The action stopped the noblewoman in her tracks. She looked over her shoulder at her again. "I said—"

"I know I'm not wrong. I'm not. I know your face damnit...I thought you were dead but this whole time..." Caitlyn couldn't think of what else to say.

However before she could, Violet's hand removed itself from hers. "Like I said Lady Kiramman, you are simply confused."

"Why won't you look at me?" The blue haired woman's voice trembled in her throat. Why was she acting like this!?

Now Violet fully turned around to face her. Her blue eyes looked into hers. For a brief second she felt something in her heart.

"They told me you were dead. In my mind you died and I spent years of my life wondering if the last time we talked as really the last time I'd ever see you again," Caitlyn explained, her voice growing shakier and shakier. "That lie they told me. That day they told me it...it broke my heart to find out you were gone."

Violet's eyes widened at the words. They were earnest. True with the shaking of her voice and body. "I was gone. I am gone...I'm not who you think I am anymore."

"Vi...I want to spend the rest of my life with you. What we have left with each other. Please Violet..." Caitlyn pleaded. "I've missed you more than words can describe. Lies kept us apart for so long and I want to be with you..."

The pink haired woman gently cupped her face. "Caitlyn...I've missed you so much...more than anything."

"I love you," Caitlyn's voice turned into a quiet heartfelt whisper

"I love you too." Violet said as they shared a kiss in the night.