Chapter 1

My childhood has been far from normal. From being in and out of the hospital, to all the medications and treatments. I've always lived the sick kid life.

I was only an infant when I was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis. My mother took that diagnosis very seriously. From making sure I stayed on top of all my doctor appointments, to making sure I was doing all of my treatments. She's always tried to keep me stable.

From the moment I was able to comprehend my condition, I knew that I would one day have to get a lung transplant. Somehow I still have these crap lungs after 17 years.

"Marie did you do your vest?" My mother asked, walking into my room.

I looked up from my laptop and nodded. "Just finished it".

One of my treatments consists of wearing a vest that shakes up my lungs and helps with getting the bad stuff out of it.

My mother nodded. "Good."

My mother has always worried about me but I've always followed the treatment regiment.

I've never thought of not following this regiment. Yes, it is a lot and takes a toll on you physically and mentally but these treatments help me to live somewhat of a normal life.

I've always been jealous of my friends and how they don't have to wake up at 5 am every morning to start the treatment regiment. That's probably why I'm always tired at school. I don't go to bed till midnight most nights.

I got up from my bed and made my way over to the bathroom to change into my clothes for school. Thank god today was Friday. A whole weekend to sleep in.

After changing, I made my way downstairs to grab something quick to eat. I wasn't super hungry so I grabbed an apple before getting my bag.

My mom came downstairs in her hospital scrubs for work.

"Ready?" She asked.

I nodded before heading out to the car with her.

I have my license but I don't have a car. Mom has always said that she would pitch in with paying for a car but I told her I would do it on my own. My mom works too much just to provide for us.

Its always been just my mom and I since I was young. My father couldn't handle having a sick child and walked out once he found out the diagnosis. I recently started a part time job at the book store in our town to try and pitch in with all the costs. Mom didn't think it was necessary but I told her it was.

The drive to school was peaceful with music playing quietly in the background.

"I'm gonna be working probably late tonight." My mom said.

I nodded. "I have a shift at the book store after school so I'll be okay."

My mom nodded. "Please don't over work yourself. "

"I wont."

When we got to my school, I got out and said goodbye to my mom before making my way inside.

My best friend Charlie was leaning up against my locker when I walked in.

"Hey." I said, making my way over.

She smiled. "Hey."

Charlie and I have been friends since elementary school. We've always been inseparable.

"What are you doing this weekend?" She asked.

"I have a shift tonight at the bookstore but I'm free the rest of the weekend." I said.

Charlie smiled and gave me her look that meant she had something planned.

I gave her a look back. "What?"

"Guess where we're going tomorrow night."

"Oh no." I said, shaking my head.

She laughed and nodded. "Oh yes we are."

Tomorrow night was a party being thrown by one of the popular seniors. Ashton Irwin. He's been cocky since middle school. His parents are rich and he lives in a really big house.

"My mom would kill me if she found out." I said, getting my books out of my locker.

"Which is why she won't find out. She working anyways right?"

I nodded. My mom is always working.

"You can come over to my house tomorrow to get ready." Charlie said.

I sighed, knowing I had to give in.

"Fine."

Charlie smiled and did a little happy dance. I laughed and then we both headed to class together.

As we walked down the hallway, my eyes made there way over to a guy I had never seen before. He had blonde hair that had waves to it. And piercing blue eyes.

Charlie could sense I was staring and nudged me.

"Thats Luke, he's new here but he's friends with Ashton." She said.

I nodded, barely comprehending what she said.

"Come on." She said, grabbing my arm and pulling me to class.

Luke's eyes made his way over in my direction and I thought my heart stopped for a moment.

Wow.