Chapter 3

My leg shook as I waited to be called back at the doctors.

Today I was having a check up to see how my lungs were functioning. I knew that they were getting worse but I didn't know how bad they were.

Every check up, my mom is always a mess. She worries so much. Sometimes I kick her out of the room so she can go pace outside. Her nerves make me even more nervous.

"Marie?" The nurse called.

I stood up and my mom tried to follow.

"Mom, just wait till the doctor comes to get you."

She nodded and sat back down. Luckily she didn't argue about it.

I followed the nurse back, where she got my vitals and then led me to a room. The room was Mikey mouse themed. Perks of being in a pediatric office.

I sat on the bed and the nurse told me the doctor would be in soon.

Luke and I have been talking non stop lately. He seems like an amazing person. I haven't told my mom yet. I know she would probably make a fuss about it.

I heard a knock on the door before Dr Clifford came in.

"Hi Marie."

He gave me a smile. He was always warm and welcoming which made these visits a bit easier.

"Hi."

Dr Clifford sat down in the rollie chair and started to type on his computer.

"How are you feeling today?" He asked.

I shrugged. "Good, like usual."

He nodded, typing down my answer. He asked a few more questions before moving on to the exam part.

After he was done, he sat back down again.

"So I took a look at the results from your pulmonary function test and its not something that I wanted to see right now. "

I felt my stomach drop. I knew that the function of my lungs was getting worse.

"How much time do you think I have before I need a transplant?"

I felt super sweaty and shaky. Everything around me felt weird. Dr Clifford could tell I was going into a panic.

He stood up and helped me to put my head between my knees.

"Marie, I need you to take deep breathes for me."

I kept shaking my head, it felt like I wasn't even in my own body. Dr Clifford opened the door to the room and asked for a nurse to go get my mom.

"I-i can't b-breath." I started to weaze slightly.

Panic attacks are never fun. Especially when you can't breathe.

My mom rushed in and dug through her bag before grabbing my inhaler for me to take.

She helped me take it before I leaned my head against the wall to calm myself. The cool wall felt amazing against my clamy skin.

Mom held my hand tightly as she found out the news. I knew she was holding back tears but was trying to stay strong for me. The only thing that I happened to hear was 6 months.

When we walked out, both of us were silent. I got in the passenger seat and mom got in the driver's seat. She turned the car on and then pulled out of the parking spot. I stared out the window, wishing that I didn't go to this appointment.

When we got home, I immediately went to my room and cried into my pillow.

Life has never been fair. And I've learned that the hard way.

I heard my phone go off. I looked at my phone to see it was Luke texting me. I unlocked my phone and went to my messages.

'Hey, wondering if you wanted to FaceTime?'  It read.

I wiped my tears from my face and responded back.

'Yeah'

It took a couple seconds before he called me. I answered, giving him a smile.

He looked at me and I think he could tell something was off.

"You okay?" He asked.

I nodded, shrugging it off.

"Yeah."

I think he could tell I didn't want to talk about it so he brushed it off.

We talked for awhile before he asked.

"Do you wanna possibly hang out?" He asked.

I nodded. "Where do you wanna hang out?"

"How about I pick you up and surprise you?"

I smiled. "Is this you asking me on a date then?"

He laughed and nodded. "Yeah."

I smiled. "Then it's a date."