Chapter 4: We Meet Again

"What we need to understand is that no one is safe, until they are secured within the system" - Jeffery K. Senal (Our Fifth Guardian)

All night I'm tossing and turning and I keep looking at my clock. 11:30, 12:25, 1:54. Then something incredible happens. Bonk. Bonk. What in the world was that? Bonk. Bonk. I conclude it is coming from my window. I reluctantly get out of bed and find Neal, outside with flowers in his hands.

I lash around and nearly run into my dresser. Oh no, I think, this can't be happening. I call out to him below in a raspy whisper, "What, are you doing here?"

"I came to say good day." I can feel the redness seeping up my face. Good thing it's dark out.

"You're not supposed to be here," I utter. "What if we get caught? We would end up imprisoned in the mines! You know that's where the bad people go." I shutter at the thought. Who knows if you get caught out after curfew, especially with a boy, what suspicions would be made. Plus, after the whole bathroom insident, It was a little akward.

"I wouldn't mind," he said in his angel voice. "Oh, and these are for you." He gestures to the flowers and holds them up as if they would fly right over to me; which is impossible considering I am up in a two story window.

"You're crazy!" I say. Still, I can't help the urging feeling of climbing down the tree right next to the window and running into his arms.

"I wasn't the one running away from conditioning drills." He smiles and says. 

"Hehe, uh, er" I stutter and then blush again.

"Let me make you a deal," he says. "If I can guess your favorite color, you have to meet me at the beach, 12:00 pm, on Friday. Deal?"

"Okay, but you only get one shot." I hesitantly say. I know he won't guess my favorite color of a light orange.

"I have a feeling," He remarks. "You're the light orange type of girl."

"How...." I start to say.

"I have my sources." He responds. "See you Friday, don't forget."

How was I supposed to get out of this mess?'