Carry On . . . getting worse

Spoilers for the Simon Snow trilogy 

So, to begin with, I really liked Carry On.  I don't usually really like enemies to lovers, but I think Rainbow Rowell pulled it off really well and the story itself is very engaging.  All the side characters (except maybe Agatha) are very relatable to me too.  So, the first book is quite enjoyable, and overall entertaining.

In the second book, things got a little weird.  I like the idea of going into what happens to "The Chosen One" after their quest is over, but it just didn't have the same feel as the first one.  It didn't feel as light-hearted and fanciful, and since I was reading it mainly for the fantasy aspect (and because I love R.R.'s writing style) it just didn't seem as good to me.  One thing I will give Wayward Son, is that it expanded Agatha's character hugely, and she became probably my second or third favorite (after Penelope and maybe Baz, depending on my mood).

Like when Agatha and Penelope are trapped in that car at the end of the book - that is such a good scene!

But Any Way the Wind Blows kind of ruined the Snowbaz ship for me.  It was like the author had more ideas for how their love-life should go, but knew she had to have some kind of plot, so she put in the most dumb, confusing, underwhelming villain I've ever read about.  Smith Smith-Richards had such a weird arc (or lack thereof), and it was so hard to follow and even know what to think of him.  Like, he seemed like the completely shallow 'I'll take over the world!' type of villain, but then we'd get his point of view and he still seemed completely earnest and convinced that he was doing the right thing.  If it's done right, that can make a villain more sinister, but Smith-Richards also kind of talked like an antient Greek philosopher and it didn't make you see his side of things, it just makes you think he's slightly unstable.

And then, Simon and Baz's relationship suddenly became very *cough* mature - at least for my innocent little eyes.  I honestly had to skim over a lot of their most "romantic" scenes, because that's just really not what I like to be reading about.  I think their love story was really cute and funny in the first book, but I really didn't need to hear about it anymore.  (Also, whoever decided to name this ship 'Snowbaz' has a distinct lack of imagination.  Like, they could be called 'Snaz'!  Literally anything would be more creative!)

On a more pleasant note, Penelope Bunce is amazing.  Like in Any Way the Wind Blows when Simon leaves and she just lays around, depressedly reading fanfiction?  If that isn't relatable, I don't know what is.  

Comment your favorite Simon Snow character, and please request!