Chapter 24: Kris's struggle...

Author's POV.

In the heart of the woods, there stood a quiet bake sale. (Y/n) and Ralsei's eyes lid up when they saw it, since the two had quite the sweet tooths. Kris, however was still in a grim mood. Ralsei's words repeating themselfs in his mind. The Lightner knew that the young prince was only trying to encourage him to confess his growing feelings for (Y/n) but unbeknownst to him, the only thing it did was awaken countless doubts, which were now clouding Kris mind.

'How could I be so stupid? Of course this wouldn't have worked out. I guess, I'm not meant to be happy, after all.' He thought, scolding himself to let it have come this far in the first place. 'How could I? I promised it to myself. No more attachments.... No more heartbreak...'

After his parents divorced and Asriel left for college, Kris felt completely alone. The townfolks were nice to him, sure. But the human knew that they just felt pity for him. That feeling was horrible. He felt like he didn't belong, like he and his decision didn't matter. And so, he distanced himself from everyone, growing into the quiet and cold teenage boy everyone knew. To prevent this kind of pain to ever happen again, he swore to himself that he would not ever let himself get attached to anyone ever again.

'Can't get your heart broken, when you never love at all...' That's the moto Kris lived by for so many years.

And here she came and threw all of that out the window. From the moment he laid his eyes on her, he felt attracted to her. It was ridiculous  how fast he had fallen but he did unknowingly. He had hoped that this could be it. His chance at a happy life... with her by his side...

Her presence alone had the ability to silents that nagging voice in his had, telling him what a bad idea this was. Even the slightest touch could set his heart racing. Her strength and bravery were so admirable to him. It amazed him how she still could keep going, even if the world was against her. Kris had silently wished for her to never leave him, to stay by his side forever. But now he realized... that this was a horrible idea.

'If I keep doing this... If I let myself fall deeper in love with her... things are only going to be harder if we part ways.' The idea of (Y/n) coming with him had crossed his mind aswell but he dismissed that thought faster than it had come.

He couldn't ask that of her. They didn't even know if darkeners could travel to the Lightners world. And even if it was possible, he would ask her to leave all of her friends, her family and her home behind, simply because he didn't want her to leave him. That would just be selfish.
And that's why he wouldn't even bring it up to her.

'Maybe if I pretend long enough, then these feelings will go away. It has worked before after all...'

"Interested in a choco diamond? All proceeds go to Rudinn Relief Funds, I guess. It's only 40G!" Kris snapped out of his thoughts with the sound of the Rudinns loud voice. (Y/n) thought for a moment, glancing back at Kris, who returned her stare confused. Then she smiled and happily bought the choco diamond. "Sure! We'll take one." She said, already digging out 40G, handing it to the Rudinn, who thanked her and wished them a nice day.

After that, (Y/n) turned on her heels to look in Kris's direction again, smiling mischievously. As she slowing marched towards him, he stiffened under her gaze, trying to keep his cool. Soon enough, the girl was standing right in front of him. Kris found himself sweating nervously, not sure what this was about. His questioning look was answered when (Y/n) softly shoved the choco diamond into his mouth. Kris froze, still highly confused, he took the candy in his hand and bit off the tip, the chocolate flavor immediately calming him a bit. "Your welcome!" (Y/n) cheered, going over to the next stand, looking at the selection.