Chapter 3

October 15, 1984

Today I start school. It being Monday and all. My heart felt as if it rose to the back of my throat. Almost crying, for many reasons.

In the backseat of the Munson van, I sat. Wearing frayed deep blue jeans, my mustard Converse, a white long sleeve t-shirt, and a baggy red and black plaid shirt. A small sheet of paper telling me what homeroom I was in. Bouncing my leg up and down, trying to shake off most of the nerves. A repetitive tap, tap, tap banged on and on as each time the leg graced the floor. Eddie sat in the front driver seat. He had been driving after dropping his uncle off at the plant.

A deep inhale was heard before his loud yell "JESUS EFFING CHRIST!"

I widened my eyes and stopped everything. Probably breathing too. 'Welp, that was enough to snap me back.' I am my own best friend sometimes.

A set of deep breaths followed suit of his manic episode "I- There's absolutely no reason to be nervous, and if you have any questions you can just ask me." He said, slightly slamming his hands on the wheel.

"Oh, sorry. I don't think I have any, but you'll be the first person I'll ask." A small smile crawled on my mouth as I remembered that we haven't known each other for long, but still bonded perfectly.
"Oh, look. We're finally here." Eddie said as if it wasn't creepy and like from a script.

He then proceeded to student parking. As we got out of the van he could tell I was visibly shaking. "You cold or nervous?" He chuckled.

"I can't tell at this point, y'know?"
"No, I don't know. But maybe you could tell me later about how you're first day went after, m'kay?"
"M'kay." He walked beside me to the building.

As we walked to the doors of the Elementary building, it felt as if students were staring right at me. Judging my every move, what I wore, and how I acted. I stared to get uncomfortable and began to shift my clothes, posture, and my arms around my body. They eventually landed in a pretzel position on my stomach. I don't think I was subtle about it because then Eddie put his hand flat against my back, like he was shoving me, and said something.

"Almost inside, al-most there." Dragging out the second 'almost' as he looked around. I looked up at him and he smiled down upon my stature.

We made it inside, eventually, and thankfully there were fewer students than the ones outside. We stopped in the middle of one of the hallways, and Eddie got on my level. Literally, he knelt down and held my shoulders, whilst I gripped my backpack straps.

"You remember your home room number?" He whispered
"Mhmm." I had nodded my head a simple yes

"K, good." He then got up off of his knees "When the last bell for the day rings, I want you to meet me back at the van and no goofing off after class."

"Yup! By the van, no dilly-dallying after school." I agreed with a quick two finger salute. He then said his quick goodbye and then went to get to the high school building. No doubt going to be at least a few minutes late to his first class.

More foot traffic had begun to pile up and I again got nervous. Pulling out the little paper from my pocket, I read it and went straight to the homeroom.

DING, DING, DING

A soft but firm warning that classes were to start. The hallways started to clear and I had found the homeroom class. I peeped through the small slivered window on the door and opened it up.

"...Mike-" The teacher seemed to be calling for attendance and I had just interrupted her. She got up from her desk, and walked over to me. I had met her halfway from where she sat and quietly said "Sorry, uh- I was told this was my uhm- homeroom." I meekly handed her the price of paper with her room number on it.

She put on the sweetest smile. I had noticed her features more when I was this close. She was young, and oh-so very pretty. She wore a pale blue shirt, black frilly skirt, and a lovely bun placed neatly atop her head. She looked like an antique doll freshly polished of dirt and grime, azurite eyes that seemed to glow from the morning sun. She looked young, obviously fresh from college.

"How lovely to have you with us. I'm so sorry I didn't mark your name off yet, what was it." The most simple of voices fell from her lips. She handed me the roster of names with a pen and asked me to write it for her. I gladly did. A painful smile didn't leave my face, I felt so warm.

I clicked the pen top when I was finished. She then took the paper and told me to sit down next to a kid named Will. He sat in the 2nd row to the back and I had to sit of the left of him. He kindly smiled and I did too. I'll admit he did look a bit tiny for a seventh grader.

Class had started and we went from English, P.E., Math, and then lunch arrived.

It was rice and some chicken teriyaki sauce on top. Complete with an apple juice or milk. 'Yum, dietary needs must be met one way or another.'

I after being handed my tray I turned around and just stood there, looking vigorously for an empty table. I finally found one and sat my tray down. Lifting one leg over then another. I silently sat in my spot poking at my food with a spork. I took a bit of some of the rice and chicken. 'This rice is still raw. Bitches.'

I slowly chewed and swallowed, following came a few more bites. 'Yep, nope, and I'm done.' I set my fork down and laid my forehead on the edge of the table. Multiple inhales and exhales later, a gentle scrape of styrofoam made its way in front of me. I looked up.

Words: 1055

*AUTHORS NOTE*
I want to add another day to make you guys not wait a whole week and I want you guys to let me know what day(s) you guys would like me to update on. I was thinking Wednesday so Wednesday and Saturday updates would happen, but if you guys have other days I would really like to know.
*Thank You*