Chapter Seventeen | Gifts

After their stroll together, Navier returned to the western palace. Countess Eliza was helping her change her clothes, when she suddenly exclaimed "Oh!"

"What’s wrong?"

Countess Eliza was smiling at the window. Navier followed her gaze and saw Queen sitting on sill. That was normal, but today his back was towards us. Countess Eliza chuckled.

"He flew here, but when he saw you changing, he panicked and turned around."

"Queen?"

"That bird is so clever, Your Majesty. Like a gentleman."

When Navier finished dressing, she approached the bird, but Queen still kept his back firmly towards her. He cocked his head when she approached, but didn’t turn around. Navier spoke to him in a soft voice.

"I’m dressed now."

When Navier poked his feathery rear, Queen spun around and rubbed his forehead against hers.

"Did you not look because you were a male? Are you being shy?"

Queen nodded his head primly. He really did look intelligent. However…

"Did you come here in a hurry today? Why are you tired?"

Queen seemed exhausted from his journey when he carried the first note, but after his owner arrived at the palace, he appeared to be more at ease. He looked exhausted again today, however, as if in a rush.

Queen fumbled a little, then held out his leg with another note. Navier petted his head and pulled out the scrap of paper.

– Looking for me?

Queen tilted her head and stared. He then went to drink some water, keeping his eye on Navier. It was a long moment before Navier finally replied.

– Looking hard. And you?

Queen shook the water from his beak then flew towards her. He looked at the note, then tapped Navier's arm lightly with his wings as if to reprimand for her lie. He was so adorable the way he reacted to her letters, and she patted his beak again.

– !

.
.
.

The New Year’s celebrations finally began.

Fireworks glittered in the sky at night, and people laughed and chatted in the streets by day.

Although I had lived in the palace since birth, the image that still came to mind when thinking about New Year’s was the lively festival on the streets of commoners.

I opened the window, allowing the cool yet moist morning air to tickle my nose. I inhaled and exhaled deeply, then half-closed the window and rang the bell next to my bed. After a moment, Seanna and Melanie entered, both dressed more extravagantly than usual.

"You will be quite busy today, Your Highness."

They smiled at me, then Melanie quickly lifted the dress prepared for me from the closet. Navier had given the dress to me as a gift, a beautiful thing adorned with white pearls, lavender petals and transparent lilac lace sleeves, underlaid with layers of silk to give a full skirt.

"It’s the first day, so we must all dress up. On an event like this, one should look colorful, but too strong of a color would look tacky."

Seanna explained to me that concept was “The Snow”, then urged me to get up and wash my face. After sliding into the scented bath water and receiving a massage, Melanie washed my hair and Seanna placed on light makeup to make my skin look smoother. They helped me put on the lilac dress, then decorated my hair with more pearls and purple crystals. I slipped on the purple shoes, and soon it really was as if I am the evil ice witch of fairytales.