41

Colby's POV

"So...you and Jules..." Sam said as I drove down the road. "What about us?" I asked blandly.

"I know you guys have been getting closer. You can't deny it." He said as I shrugged.

"I think she's beautiful but she's annoying as fuck. Plus she's giving me more headaches than anything ever." I said and focused.

We had been driving for 13 hours at this point so we had some time to go.

"Tony is just being a prick. Thinks that this will somehow make him more impressive." Sam said as I nodded.

"I fucking hate him." I grumbled as my phone rang.

"Hello?" I asked after clicking the accept call button.

"Are you there yet?" Nate asked as I shook my head.

"Almost. Why? Is he at the house?" I asked as fear climbed up my throat. "No, something was sent to the office. A small black velvet box. Do you want me to open it?" He asked as I looked over at Sam.

"No. Wait until we get back unless it looks like it could be dangerous." I said and looked back at the road.

"It doesn't. We'll keep it here for you." Nate said as I nodded. "Sounds good, thanks." I said then hung up.

"What do you think it is?" Sam asked as I shrugged. "Could be anything." I said and focused on the road.

We drove a little while longer before we ended up in Julia's old neighborhood.

It was a small neighborhood with houses that were small and rundown.

It made more sense to me now why she was so amazed by Vegas and all of the nice places we went.

There was nothing wrong with these houses but it was definitely a different environment.

I parked the car in front of a random house and rolled the windows down.

"Sam! Come here!" A younger girl yelled from the distance.

"I know she's not talking to me." Sam said as I laughed. "That's Julia's brother and sister." I said and pointed to the house with Julia's address on it.

In the yard was a little girl with long black hair. That had to be Julia's sister Jenna. Next to her was a little boy who looked like he had been crying.

"I wanna play inside." He said with a frown. "Mom wants us to be outside so she can work." Jenna said as my jaw clenched.

Julia's mother seemed like a piece of shit. Knowing that she hit her showed me that and seeing that she was making her kids play outside made that more apparent.

There were dangerous people out here.

"Why doesn't mommy go to work anymore?" The little boy asked. "Because Jule is gone. Someone has to watch us." Jenna said and sat on the grass pulling her little brother into his lap.

"Why isn't mommy looking for her? I miss Jule." The little boy said as I closed my eyes.

I couldn't tell if I was more upset that Julia's mom didn't care enough to even look for her or the fact that her little brother was so sad about her disappearance.

"She said Jule ran away. She doesn't want to be here." Jenna said with a sad look on her face.

I clenched my jaw and tightened my hands on the steering wheel.

"We should go find Mitch and Daniel." I said then started the car. 

"Woah..are you mad?" Sam asked as I nodded. "They think she left them. She didn't leave them, we fucking took her and now the people she loves more than anything in the world thinks she abandoned them." I said angrily, speeding down the road.