Chapter Four: The Dive

(Ken's POV)

I waited and waited, keeping an eye out for any other weird activity. Suddenly, a car pulled up behind me. I turned to look and saw Barbie getting out of the car.

She walked towards me with a confused look on her face... kind, but confused.

"Ken? What's up? Everything OK?"

I side-eyed my surroundings to make sure no one else was able to hear us, then motioned subtly for her to come next to me. She picked up her pace and made it over.

I leaned down to whisper to her, "Something fishy is going on here"

"Like what? You said that in your text, but you didn't go into detail. And why are we whispering again?"

"Because this time there is a reason... follow me", I touched her arm and nodded my head in the direction I turned towards. She followed behind me, glancing around in her own nervous way.

We walked for a little bit down the street to one of the marinas close by. I leaned in to whisper again, "So, you know how there's this Reef Festival happening?"

Barbie blinked, "Uh, yeah... That's why we're here. For the Reef Festival concert in three days"

I nodded to her, "Right, but apparently there might be some people having their own kind of Reef Festival... you know, like the illegal kind", I motioned with two hands.

"What do you mean? Ken, I'm sorry, I'm so lost. What's going on?"

I stopped and sighed, making her stop as well. She was looking at me like I had three heads.

"So, when I got down here to find a place to get some scuba gear, I overheard someone talking about money... big money... you know, like the kind of money someone gets when they're doing something illegal"

(Malibu Barbie's POV)

I hummed in curiosity. "But what exactly are we talking about when we talk about something illegal?" I asked.

Ken shrugged. "I don't know.....maybe a smuggling business or something."

"So shouldn't we call the police?" I asked.

"But we don't have any evidence to give the police. And they can deny it!", Ken pointed out.

"What are you suggesting?" I asked.

He glanced around for a sec, then responded, "How about we investigate things?"

I choked on air at the suggestion.

"Ken! Are you out of your damn mind?" I whisper-yelled, "If what you're saying is true, these people can be dangerous!"

"Come on, Barbie! You said we get to spend time with each other. This can be another awesome adventure!" Ken smirked, "Just like all those years ago... remember? Agent Roberts and Agent Carson: detective agency!"

I stared at him in disbelief. "Yeah! But that wasn't for something as serious as this!"

"Come on! PURRETTY PLEASE!!" Ken said as he gave me the cute kitty eyes.

I groaned. "What am I going to do with you, dork?! Fine! But the first sign of trouble and we're out. Deal?" I said.

He nodded. "Deal!"

(Ken's POV)

Barbie sighed and looked at me, "OK, first things first, we need to figure out what it is that's illegal. THEN we can see if we can do something about it"

I nodded to her, happy she was on board with it, "Roger. How about we start with those people over there", I pointed towards the one dock with two ships. The men and women looked like they were carrying heavy boxes to and from the ships.