Locus of Control

At the Jungle Temple, Locus and Felix meet up with one of the scientists and a Space Pirate serving as escort.

Locus: What has your team found?

Scientist: This is... huh well, where do I even begin?

Felix: Well, you could start with what it is.

Scientist: A central hub. Some sort of...device connected to the rest of the temples on the planet, that's our best guess at least, but this energy source in the center is...something else.

Felix: Can it be weaponized?

Scientist: No, no no no no. The energy here is reminiscent of the teleportation devices we studied to make the cubes. We think it's a gateway.

Locus: To where?

Scientist: Well, that is the question of the day, now isn't it?

Felix: So... anyone care to take the first step?

Scientist: I would... not advise that. We've been doing our best to decipher the text inscribed on the temple walls. It's all very biblical in tone. Lots of symbolism, but it does seem this gateway has some... well, rules.

Locus: Rules?

Scientist: The text is very specific. "Only a true warrior may enter; a being of great strength and mental clarity."

Locus: And what would happen to a man, who failed these requirements?

Scientist: We don't know.

Felix kicks the escorting Space Pirate into the beam. He is gone with a flash.

Felix: Guess we'll find out.

Cut to the interior of a tower. Sharkface is gearing up and talking with the Counselor. A number of spraypaint cans are on the desk. Sharkface's armor has spraypainted red trim on it.

Counselor: Are you finished?

Sharkface: Almost. (stretches out arm) But you can't rush art, Counselor. (picks up a can, shakes it and starts spraying paint on the helmet)

Counselor: You find working with tools to be therapeutic?

Sharkface: Therapeutic?

Counselor: Relaxing. Does it help to cope-

Sharkface: I know what "therapeutic" means. And no, not really. (keeps spray painting)

Counselor: Let's change the subject. I trust you've reviewed the reports on Agents Washington, Minnesota, and Carolina?

Sharkface: Yup.

Counselor: Excellent. Did you have any questions?

Sharkface: No.

Counselor: (sighs) Good. Then why don't we go over the mission briefing again?

Sharkface: The mercs want the Freelancers dead, so they got me to do it. Briefing over.

Counselor: There is no need for hostility.

Sharkface: (turns around to face the Counselor) I beg to differ. See, those super-soldier freaks dropped a building on me. They left me for dead, and then they killed my friends. They took away the only family I ever had while I was in physical fucking therapy. There's plenty of need for hostility here, Counselor.