Chapter 7: THE PAST BEHIND US.

"Why didn't you come?" Dylan asked.

I can't believe Laura, one of the counselors that didn't show up, is here. Where has she been?

"Where have you been for the past two months?" I asked, concerned.

"We did come. One night early. That was our mistake..." She sighed.

LAURA'S POV: 2 MONTHS AGO

I woke up laying on a cold cement floor. My vision was blurry. All I could remember was Max... he was attacked by something.

My vision gets better and I finally notice I'm in a jail cell. My whole body was covered in blood.

My whole body hurts. "What...?" I mutter. I hear a door open and I see a cop dragging Max. That creepy-ass cop that found me and Max in the woods.

Max was alive. After seeing what condition he was in the last time I saw him I thought he would be dead.

I still lay on the cold floor, too weak to get up.

"Come on, kid." The cop says. All I could see is the cop trying to get Max in the jail cell beside me.

The cop walks to my jail cell.

"What the fuck!" I whimper.

"Ma'am... This is gonna get a little messy." He sighs. The cop walks away leaving me.

"What the fuck-" I whisper in pain.

I start hearing growls and non-human sounds coming from Max's jail cell. Blood splats on the walls and the ground.

I pass out again.

NEXT DAY- 9 AM

I wake up by being splashed in the face with a cup of water. The cop sits in front of me while my hands are handcuffed to the chair I'm sitting on.

"What have you done to Max?" I ask while freaking out.

"Shut up." The cop replies.

"You can't just-"

"SHUT UP! This is an interrogation. I ask you answer." He shouts, clearly stressed.

He gives me a stern look while getting his notepad and pen.

"Name." He asks.

"Laura Kearney."

"Who are you traveling with and what is your relationship?"

"Max Brinly. He's my boyfriend."

"Where were you headed last night?"

"To Hackett's Quarry summer camp- You already know this. What have you done with Max?" I yell.

"No... I ask, and you answer. That's how this works." He calmly tells me.

"Fine. What do you want to know?" I reply.

The cop seems shocked. Like he wasn't expecting me to say that.

"Oh. Well... Ah! Why were you going to Hackett's Quarry last night?" He asks.

"Max and I are camp counselors."

"Oh, bullshit. Counselors aren't due until today."

"I told you. We drove up and got there early, we figured we'd just... go to camp."

"Why didn't you go to the motel like I told you?"

"Because we were like... way closer to the camp! And... we're broke!" I shout. This cop is pissing me off with all these questions. Why does he wanna know so bad?