III

on the spot

𝚗𝚘𝚟𝚎𝚖𝚋𝚎𝚛 8𝚝𝚑 1983
𝚑𝚊𝚠𝚔𝚒𝚗𝚜 𝚑𝚒𝚐𝚑
𝚖𝚘𝚛𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚐

"okay bye dad love you!" valentine says to her dad as she gets out of the car. she walks into school, having small talk with everyone who says hello to her.

she walks in the direction to her locker, hearing nancy call her.

"hey! how was your night?" she asks nancy, "it was good" she says, "steve and i.. we uh.." she stutters, "you did the thing didnt't you?"valentine forces a smile, nancy nods. "how are you and joseph?" she asks, unaware of the resentment valentine is feeling towards her boyfriend.

the two stop at valentine's locker. "well last night.. he tried to get us to.. uhh you know" she trails off, nancy soon realised and hugs her bestfriend. "are you okay?" she asks, valentine nods. "yeahh yeah! of course nance, i just didn't expect it from him, i did shout at him and i kind of feel bad about it" she tells her.

"this is the third time he had tried now, i thought after telling him i wasn't ready that would've been enough" valentine rants, "i know he's been spending alot of time with the boys recently but i didn't think that would mean him begging me for a fuck" she continues.

"i just dont know what to do, im so lost nance its like-" she gets cut off by seeing a note taped to her locker, her name on it.

she opens it and immediately recognises her boyfriend's hand writing.

"valentine, i am so so so sorry for last night, i shouldn't have done that and i should've respected your wish.

i promise i'll make it up to you and prove to you that im nothing like these other douchebags that you have to deal with.

janitors closet before first period?

i love you so much

- joe

p.s i was gonna give you flowers but i didnt wanna ruin them by squishing them in your locker and i dont know your code"

valentine finishes reading it to nancy. "go see joseph, i gotta go speak to steve, let me know how it goes" nancy says to her bestfriend before hugging her, "and stay safe okay?" she smiles, "of course, you better had too" valentine smiles. nancy nods before the pair part ways.

nancy walking to find steve and valentine walking to meet up with joseph.

she gets to the janitors closet to find joe poking his head out the door, he notices her and ushers her to hurry up. she starts walking faster to make sure no one sees her, the corridor is empty until 8:35 and it's 8:32 now.

she walks in and closes the door behind her, she turns to see her boyfriend leaning agains the wall, holding a bouquet of chocolate cosmos mixed with flowers he seemingly hand picked himself.

"for you baby" he hands them to her, he rubs the back of his neck, his nerves clear to the naked eye. "thank you" she smiles at him.

"look, i am so so so so fucking sorry for what i did, i don't know what came over me, i don't know why i tried to get you to do something you didn't want to do" joe says, beginning to ramble, "i just don't know what came over me, i was such a dick to you and i don't know why you just didnt end it with me on the spot" he rambles.