XII

teenage heartbreak gets the best of us

𝚘𝚌𝚝𝚘𝚋𝚎𝚛 31𝚜𝚝 1984
𝚖𝚞𝚕𝚝𝚒𝚙𝚕𝚎 𝚜𝚎𝚝𝚝𝚒𝚗𝚐𝚜
𝚖𝚒𝚍𝚍𝚊𝚢

"hey, it's hard, but let's..." steve pauses, "let's just go to tina's stupid party... wear our stupid costumes that we've been working on for a stupid amount of time and just pretend like we're some stupid teenagers, okay?" he says to nancy, "can we just do that? just for tonight?" he says to his girlfriend. "okay" she replies, "come here" he pulls her in for a hug, his chin resting at the top of her head.

meanwhile, valentine and  joseph were having a similar conversation. "i don't know what you're going through but i'm here" he hugs her, "let's just go to the party and just live stupid little lives as silly teenagers" he says, looking down at the girl in his arms.

a few hours later and the two couples are at 'tina's stupid party'

valentine dressed up as daphne blake from scooby doo.

she wore a pair of purple cargos and a green and black striped and cropped turtle neck. she wore black doc martins. joseph had dressed up as a rockstar from one of his favourite bands.

valentine and nancy go to the punch bowl and grab a cup to put "pure fuel" in it.

nancy and valentine walk back over to their boyfriends, dancing slightly. they hand steve and joe a drink each and pull them to dance.

the two boys soon walk back to the side. theres a loud cheering, the crowd chanting "billy! billy! billy!" over and over again. valentine notices a blonde boy with a mullet walking over to her boyfriend and bestfriend. nancy notices too and the two girls walk over to the boys. joe wraps his arm across valentine's shoulder as his girlfriend gives the blonde mullet teen a glare.

"we got ourselves a new keg king harrington" tommy says, steve looks at billy and tommy and raises his eyebrow. "yeah, that's right!" reed says, "yeah. eat it, harrington" tommy laughs.

"fuck off tommy" valentine says, "it's literally a drinking game" joe says, "yeah a drinking game harrington LOST" tommy states, "who's this gorgeous girl?" the record breaker asks, looking valentine up and down, "my fucking girlfriend man fuck off" joe says, "does he do you well sweetheart or do you have to moan my name tonight?" billy asks, valentine grabs her boyfriend's hand to stop him from doing anything.

"trip over a knife" valentine says and rolls her eyes, walking to the punchbowl, getting more to drink.

nancy, who was drunk and stumbling to the bowl, she tries filling her cup again.

"hey, woah woah! hey.. take it easy" steve says, emptying her cup but she refills it. "take it easy" steve says and empties her cup a bit, "nance, nance.. nance" he says as she fills her cup again and begins drinking it. "we're just being stupid teenager's for the night, wasn't that the deal?l she slurs. "no nance" he says, grabbing her cup but she snatches it away to drink it again, "get off" she says.

"no you've had enough okay?" he says, "screw you!" she says to him and refills her cup yet again. "nance, i'm serious. hey.. hey, hey! stop!! no i'm serious" steve says, trying to get her to stop.

valentine grabs some random unopened bottle and begins drinking it as she watches the scene infront of her unfold even further. she wishes joe was here.

"put it down" steve says, "no" nancy replies, "nance, put it down" he says, putting his hand on her forearm and tries to grab her cup with the other, "steve stop!!" she says, "stop, stop" he says as she begins to push him away, he tries to grab the cup but tips it all over her white shirt. she gasps.

"what the hell steve?" she says to him, "nance!" he says, "nance im sorry" he says softly but she storms off upstairs anyways. he looks at valentine for advice and she ushers for him to follow her. he runs after her and valentine begins walking to find joe, the alcohol begins hitting her and she's leaning on doorways and stumbling around just like nancy was not too long ago.

"that's not coming off, nance" steve says to his girlfriend as he enters the bathroom she's in, wiping her shirt under the sink. "it's coming" she says, "come on, let me just take you home okay?" he says, his hand on her back. "you wanted this" nancy's words slurred, "no, i didn't want this. i told you to stop drinking" he says.

"it's bullshit. bull. shit." she says to him, "no, it's not bullshit okay? it's not bullshit nance" he says to her, "no you. you're bullshit" she says to her boyfriend, completely serious. "what?" he stammers, "youre pretending like everything is okay" she says, "you know like we didn't.. like we didn't kill barb" she says

"like, it's great, like we're inlove and partying.. yeah? let's party huh? party! we're partying" she slurs, "this is bullshit" she says, "like.. we're inlove?" steve repeats, tears threatening his eyes. "it's bullshit" nancy says, "you don't love me?" he asks, "it's bullshit." she says. steve, who feels like his heart had just been dropped and shattered as if it was glass, storms out of the bathroom; holding back tears.

"hey, you know joseph moore?" valentines slurs to a random person, "he's my boyfriend and i love him so so so much and every one here should be jealous cause he's so perfect" she says before walking away to find her "perfect" boyfriend.

valentine hears a crowd chanting her boyfriend's name, she walks towards it and breaks through the crowd, expecting to see him doing a keg stand but what she saw broke her heart.