Chapter 31

It was a peaceful, quiet slumber for them, compared to the chaotic fundraiser. But reality quickly chased after them. Steve woke up to his phone blaring loudly. He quickly answered it to prevent the beautiful redhead in his arms from awakening from her sleep.

"Hi, Mom" Steve said

"Steve, I have something important to tell you." Sarah told "Meet me for brunch in twenty minutes. A car is already waiting for you"

"Of course, mom. I will be there" Steve replied

He hung up and sighed before closing his eyes and holding Natasha tighter in his arms.

"Where are you going?" A sleepy voice sounded

"My mom needs to talk to me" He replied

"You should get ready you don't want to keep your mom waiting" She said and pushed herself upright.

Steve climbed off their bed before giving her a quick kiss. He headed to the bathroom to wash himself and brush his teeth, quickly dressing himself before turning to her.

"I will be back soon" He told her "You want anything? I can bring you something to eat"

"Anything that's delicious please"

"Yes, ma'am" He said and leaned in to kiss her again.

"Go" She murmured against his lips and pushed him away.

Steve smiled at her before heading out the door but didn't forget to look back at her one more time. Natasha smiled at him.

___________________

Steve met up with his mother at the small outdoor cafe. Sarah was sitting alone without a sign of his dad.

"Morning, mom" Steve greeted and kissed Sarah's cheek. He sat down in front of her.

"Steven"

"Where's dad?"

"He had an early meeting at the Pentagon"

"Yeah, that sounds like something he would be doing" Steve sarcastically replied.

"So what's the urgent matter that requires my attendance on a Saturday morning at 10 AM, mom"

"I need you and Natasha back in New York by tonight because there is someone I want both of you to meet"

"Who is it?"

"Before I tell you, I have to tell you that I ran a background check on her…"

"YOU DID WHAT?"

"Just let me finish it, Steve. I heard you guys talking about her family and her last name struck me as familiar."

"So you sent Cornelius to find someone or something from her past?"

"Yes, and they are on their way to meet her." Sarah replied "That's why I need you guys back in New York tonight because I will bring them to meet with Natasha tomorrow and I want to keep it a surprise"

"Okay"

Steve finished his breakfast but didn't forget to order some takeout food and dessert for his little red. He knew she would like it. Sarah's piercing blue eyes looked at her son as she sipping her coffee and she noticed something on his neck.

"Hmmm, looks like you had some quality time with Natasha last night"

Steve stopped for a second and knew that his mom was referring to the purple hickey on his neck.

"Nothing happened last night, mom" Steve said "That the farthest we went last night"

"And you said she's not your girlfriend" His mother inquired sardonically.