fifteen

•

"Dot, you wanna go for a chat?" I feel Luca squeeze my hand in reassurance, letting me know I'll be alright whilst Jacques looks at me waiting for an answer.

"Yeah, come on." I may as well get this conversation out of the way because we'll be in here for a while. We head over to the mini firepit as everyone is spread around the villa.

"How you feeling being in here?" Even if we weren't on the best of terms, Jacques is one of the few people who know how I feel about other people opinions, so him asking how I'm dealing with everything is appreciated.

"I know that people obviously have their opinions about my leg, even if they're keeping them to themselves but I'd rather them tell me upfront rather than the sly comments."

"Having people be upfront led to therapy." I laugh under my breath a little, he must be stupid.

"No. You and I both know that's not true. Having someone I thought cared about me turn their back whenever I needed emotional support led to therapy. I've dealt with the comments my whole life so it's nothing foreign to me, but having someone tell me I'm overreacting or due on every time I'm upset or in pain is something that never happened until you and your friends came into my life."

"I was a shit person and an even worse boyfriend when we were together. Let me make it up to you at least, I feel bad about how I treated you."

"And how do you expect to do that?"

"Let me pay for your therapy sessions - including the ones you've previously had."

"You don't get it do you?" I shake my head, slowly becoming more and more annoyed. "You don't get to do all that shit and then turn around and offer to pay for therapy. What happened when we were together shouldn't have happened. You didn't believe me. I spent hours crying to you about the shit I go through and how I get treated by people who don't even know me but when it comes to your friends treating me that way, I'm an attention seeking bitch and your friends are innocent. You've seen them on nights out Jacques, they treat people like shit so what would've stopped them from treating me that way? If you're looking for someone you want to spend the rest of your life with, maybe you should sort out your priorities first. You became a different person after you became friends with them."

I get up and start to walk away but turn around before getting up the steps.

"If you so much as treat a girl in here like shit, whether I like them or not, you'll have both my crutches up your ass and will be paying for my therapy." He raises his hands in surrender and I nod, glad that he got the message. "Be the Jacques I met six years ago, not the one you become around your team."

He nods his head a little before getting up and walking over to me. "I'm happy for you Dot, you and Luca seem to be getting on really well and based on what he's said about you when you're not around or when he's in the Beach Hut, he's really happy to be with you."