Chapter 11

╔══════ °° ══════╗

I could hardly think straight as Eddie parked in front of my house. I didn't have a way of knowing if my parents had called. Eddie followed me in, but I still couldn't say anything to him. I went straight for the bathroom, taking a minute away from Eddie.

I turned the sink on and hoped that the sound of running water would keep Eddie from hearing me cry again. It was all I could do. Abel had to be okay.

"Eden, are you okay?" Eddie called out from the hall.

"I just need a minute."

"Don't be too long!" Eddie laughed.

I'll take as much time as I needed to.

"I might go through your dresser. I'm sure I can find some interesting goodies."

I shook my head, not caring what Eddie might do. He could blow my house up for all I cared. Staring at myself in the mirror, I saw how red my face was. I sniffled before scooping up some water into my hands and splashing my face. The cool water felt refreshing.

Eddie was right. Continuing to panic would not help the situation. My head was throbbing. I wanted to lie down and pray for him. Was it wrong to wish that today had never happened?

I whipped the bathroom door open, seeing Eddie leaning against the hall wall with his arms crossed. I left the room and headed to my bedroom. He was going to follow me to my room, but I stopped him.

"I'm going to change."

"Perfect." Eddie smirked.

I glared.

"Sorry." He frowned.

I closed my door, pulling a pair of pajamas out of one of my dresser drawers. I sat on the edge of my bed, staring down at the ground as I slowly changed. The room felt like it was spinning. Once I changed, I tossed my dirty clothes into my hamper and then climbed into bed. I didn't have the energy to open the door.

Him being here showed me he at least cared enough to make sure I was okay. I didn't even care if they came home and saw him here. They would not blame this on him. He had nothing to do with it.

I pulled my blanket up to my shoulders and over my head, calling out to Eddie. I heard my door open and then quietly close. The less I knew about how my brother was doing, the worse I felt. I was mentally praying that the phone would ring any second and it would be my parents telling me that Abel was okay and they were coming home. But that would also lead to a bigger conversation that I don't think I could handle tonight.

Dad blaming me for Abel getting hurt, really hurt me. He wasn't even considering my feelings. I did already feel guilty that he had gotten hurt, but I didn't mean for it to happen. Dad knows me better than that. I would never let something like this happen. I am Able's big sister. It was my job to help keep him safe. Now, dad was questioning if I could even do that.

"Eddie?" I asked.

"Yeah?"

"Will you sit with me?"

"Only if you stop suffocating yourself," He said, "And scoot over."

"I'll scoot over," I muttered, shifting my position underneath the covers. "But I'd like to continue suffocating myself. Thanks."

Eddie grabbed the blanket as he sat down next to me, pulling it back slightly and then moving my hair out of my face. He stared down at me with those big chocolate brown eyes of his that were so beautiful I could stare into them all day. His hair was slightly in his eyes and framing his face perfectly. His thumb slowly brushed over my cheek as the rest of his hand settled on cupping my chin.