Chapter 13

╔══════ °° ══════╗

Eddie never showed up to Church Wednesday evening. Which made avoiding him the rest of the week  far too easy. I didn't know how to answer a lot of the questions my dad raised. After standing me up, there was nothing else I could say to him. I couldn't forgive him for embarrassing me again. If he couldn't try for me, we wouldn't work out. It's not like I was trying to turn him into a church goer. I just wanted him to support me in the way I had been supporting his music by going to his gig and his practice.

I tried not to think about him as cleaned up the kitchen. Mom, Dad, and Abel were going out of town for the weekend. They were going to help a family who lost their home in a fire. I had stayed home and even convinced my parents to let Robin spend the weekend with me.

Robin would be here any minute, and I was excited about her coming over. Even more excited than when I thought I was becoming friends with Chrissy. I thought Robin was the better choice. She believed in a lot of the same values as I did. I didn't feel like I had to hide anything around her. I just don't know why we haven't become friends until now.

I was drying the dishes when I heard a knock. I tossed the towel onto the counter and went to greet Robin. She was waiting patiently on the porch with her overnight bag in hand. I swung the door open, letting her in just as it started to downpour outside. It had been raining nearly all week. Which was fitting for my mood the last few days.

"Perfect timing, huh?" Robin laughed.

"May I?" I offered to take her bag from her.

"Thanks." Robin smiled back.

While taking her bag to my room, I gave her a quick tour of the house. Even though it was raining, we had a solid plan to still go to Family Video and pick out a few movies to watch over the weekend. She worked there, which meant we could use her employee discount to get the movies.

I grabbed two umbrellas from the hall closet and handed one to Robin. Small puddles were already forming down the sidewalk as we started on our path. Just like me, Robin did not have her license. Otherwise we would have driven to the store. For once, it actually made me feel included in a part of a friendship.

"What movies should we get?" Robin asked.

"Anything but horror."

"How about we each pick out one of our favorite movies?" Robin suggested.

"Sure," I nodded, "And then we can pick one out together."

"Deal. And lots of snacks too!"

"As long as they are twizzlers!"

"Those are my favorite!" Robin giggled.

"No way, they're mine too!"

"Why haven't we been friends before?"

"Maybe because I was too busy trying to be friends with people like Chrissy, who had just been using me." I rolled my eyes.

Robin knew a bit of how Chrissy had and I became friends, just not the fact that she was buying drugs. She knew Chrissy had been the one to introduce me to Eddie.

"What she did wasn't cool," Robin said. "Try not to think about it too much. At least it ended sooner rather than later."

"Yeah," I agreed, "That's how I feel about a certain punk, too."

"Don't be too hard on yourself about Eddie. It wasn't anything you did."

"It just bothers me because if he didn't want to go, all he had to do was tell me no. Not get my hopes up and then stand me up again."