Chapter 29

╔══════ °° ══════╗

The bright yellow sun left glimmers of shiny light peeking through my curtains. I had been awake all night. The restlessness and anticipation of graduation this weekend was keeping me up. A few months ago, the idea of being done with high school seemed impossible. I've never felt scared or unsure about those days.

I kicked my bed covers off, throwing my legs over the side of my bed and getting up. I marched right over to my curtains and gave the sun full access to the room. With an enormous yawn, I stood there right in front of my window and stretched. It was weird not having to go to school this morning. Now, with only three days until graduation, I miss the routine already.

Mom was already awake in the kitchen, slaving over the stove while making breakfast for Abel. My brother was still sleepily laying on the couch, watching some morning cartoons with Eddie. Eddie looked just as tired. I didn't know when or how he arrived.

"Good morning, mom." I headed into the kitchen.

"Morning Eden. I'm making eggs. Do you want some?" Mom offered.

"Sure," I nodded, "I'll set the table. Is dad gone already?"

"He left about an hour ago."

"Four plates then. When did Eddie get here?" I asked.

"I'm not sure. I thought he came home with you." Mom shrugged.

"Your dad let me in before he left." Eddie strolled into the kitchen. "I'll tell you the specifics later."

Eddie and Abel sat next to each other. I walked around the table placing the plates in front of each of us.

I gave Eddie a small smile, finished setting the table and then turning to help mom serve everyone.

The silence we carried as we ate was not of awkwardness, but of wholesomenesses. My father had despised Eddie for the longest time. His presence at our kitchen table felt like it had been there all our lives. I couldn't help but smile as I watched my Eddie tease Abel at the table, stealing pieces of food off his plate—Abel doing the same and laughing.

Mom and I exchanged smiles, enjoying every second of their interaction. Not only was having someone who loved me important, but having someone who loved my family, despite all odds... was the most heartwarming feeling in the entire world. 

°°

After helping mom clean up breakfast, Eddie and I offered to walk Abel to school for her.

"We're going to the school later this afternoon to help set up the chairs. Do you wanna come help?" I asked Eddie.

"Sure," Eddie said, "My afternoon is free. Steve and I have plans tonight, though."

"Oh, yeah?" I asked.

"We're meeting Jason at the Hideout."

"You're going to meet with Jason?" I raised a brow.

"Yeah. Still hate the guy, but we're civil. Only for a game of pool. Jason's idea, not mine. I invited Steve, so it wouldn't be so awkward." Eddie shrugged.

"That will be nice."

"How did things with you and Chrissy go that day? I never asked."

"They were fine. We both apologized and just moved on."

"That's about all me and Jason did."

We arrived at Abel's school, and while I walked him up to his classroom, Eddie stayed behind on the sidewalk. The sun was growing fuller, and it was much warmer than when I first woke up. I met Eddie back on the sidewalk after handing my brother off to his teacher.