Chapter Twenty-One: Gilderion and Lectavus

(NARRATED BY TRAVIS GUILDER)

The remainder of us stood on a high hill, watching the city that burned in front of us. The rain had finally stopped, and we couldn't stop the fires until the enemy left the city entirely, considering that Magmos was still with them. As a result, we were forced to wait until the enemy finally dispersed. Not wanting to watch, most of us eventually turned our backs on the scene.

I was one of them.

While this was happening, Sarah came to me. She must've overheard what was on my mind, given her worried expression. "Hey," she greeted nervously, "I, um... just thought that maybe you needed a little... a little, uh..." She cleared her throat. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"About how I... killed those people?"

With hesitation, she nodded.

I breathed a shaky sigh. "Nah, not right now."

Without another word, the girl with the sunny-blonde hair stepped closer and embraced me with a much-needed hug. At first, she tried to be gentle because of my cut, but I didn't care about the pain. I hugged her back with all the strength I could muster, bursting into tears as I did so. All this time, I had tried to look strong, to be her shoulder to lean on. But as I felt her arms tighten around my body, I realized I wasn't the only one with support to offer.

Sarah Adaleen had my back all the way.

Right when the fire-fighting airborne unit reached the city, the General gathered the Brotherhood Council and the Prophecy children together for an announcement:

"I've obtained information that Thomas Adaleen is planning to attack Felta from the ocean as they have here. This is probably because Felta has so many suburbs surrounding it, which would increase the potential of the battle lasting past sunrise. That's something he doesn't want, given that his Shadow Warriors fight best under darkness. The enemy's main objective is to destroy the city and assassinate King Morgan Kemtall, the father of Governor Gregory Kemtall."

Samson raised his hand. "Where'd that info come from, sir?"

"General Mason," he answered. "She and her team were recently able to intercept their intel."

"Who is General Mason?" Lamerio asked.

"Don't worry about it," said Lieutenant Covario.

The General continued, "We'll need to get to Felta as soon as possible. Mason also has a unit led by Lieutenant Thatcher overseeing the evacuation, but they were unable to convince King Morgan Kemtall to leave as his wife did. He wants to make sure that the citizens are safe and that everything goes well. Adaleen anticipated this, as it was expressed in his plans, so we'll have to do everything within our power to keep him from getting inside the palace walls. Once the king is done doing his job or otherwise needs to flee for emergency reasons, we'll have appointed bodyguards escort him out of there."

"And that will consist of Lieutenant Thatcher's subordinates?" asked Major Ellis, the Orcanan Division leader.

The General shook his head. "Neither Thatcher nor Mason will be there for the fight. The men belong to the Royal Guard."

"Who's Lieutenant Thatcher?" Elli asked.

"Don't worry about it," said the General. "Any more questions?"

Nobody responded.

"All right then, let's move out!"

I ended up joining Levi in the back row of one of the vehicles, while Cameron sat in the front. Not long after we left, they both fell asleep, though I stayed wide awake. I looked out the window most of the time, occasionally seeing the lights of cities in the distance. I also watched the moon change colors as it drove across the night sky.