eleven

The first and last time Arisu had ever seen Kyoya so distracted was when they were ten years old. It hadn't repeated since and he never thought it would. Until certain newcomers joined the Host Club and he began seeming more pensive than usual.

Back then, when their issues weren't as big and possibilities were unattainable, Kyoya had been rather quiet during their day out shopping with Arisu's parents. The latter had voiced his concern (with an egocentric remark anyone else would be offended by), but Kyoya had not budged.

To this day, he never found out what that was about. But now he was determined.

Now, with even more reason to worry and issues to fix, he found himself cornering Kyoya in a recondite corner of the garden.

The boy looked infuriatingly handsome as he glanced down at him with a blank expression. He held his suitcase in one hand, while the other was delicately posed on his hip.

He exuded a feeling of dread.

"stop playing coy, Kyoya" Arisu accused, pointing at him "you're creeping me out"

"I'm afraid I will need you to elaborate" The other replied, looking rather bored. This only fueled Arisu's stubbornness not to let this matter go.

How dare he find him boring. He was a joy to be around.

"What has got you so distracted? When I tell you about the new outfit I bought, you pretend you're listening to me; I suggest we go make out in the janitors closet, you ignore me and begin tapping obnoxiously at your stupid computer; I use all the tricks in the book to get you to show any reaction other than boredom, and what do you do? keep your stupid scowl at all times!"

Kyoya blinked. Once, twice, thrice. His eyes had widened for a second, and he was looking at Arisu with a softer gaze.

He hated it.

He hated Kyoya and his stupid soft spot for him, not matter how many times he denied his affections.

It was becoming unhealthy.

"Unlike what you seem to think, my aloofness isn't directed to you, Arisu. You don't seem to quite grasp the concept of not being the center of the world"

Arisu would have gasped if it were anyone else spatting such cruel and venomous words in his face. But this was Kyoya, his honest, hardworking friend (lover...? enemy..?), So it was for certain his words weren't intended to offend, but rather give him a reality check.

He needed those embarrassingly often.

"right. sorry" He looked down, still annoyed at the other's antics.

Kyoya sighed heavily, looking at his watch "would you rather we discuss this over some pastries from the cafeteria? we still have an hour left before the next class"

Even after Arisu had shouted in his face, he remained polite...

What a pain in the ass.

"sure"

•──•─•──•✦•──•─•──•

Arisu munched on his bite of strawberry shortcake slowly. Letting the flavor fill his senses and spread satisfaction throughout his chest. Kyoya was in front of him, sipping on a cup of tea and watching him intently.

he finally spoke "don't you think they are...strange?"

Arisu looked up from his plate, staring at Kyoya's eyes, who looked faraway from the conversation at hand.