Robin XVI

⚠️Anxiety | Mental Health Struggles⚠️

Wally and I were sitting in my room at Mount Justice, doing absolutely nothing. Well, I was reading a book and Wally was hanging upside down off my bed, just staring at the ceiling. We didn't speak, but the silence wasn't awkward. It was... comfortable. I liked it. 

Every once in a while, I would glance over at him over my book. He looked troubled, but I knew he was probably just trying to solve a stupid problem in his head. I went back to my book, slightly surprised that he wasn't trying to talk to me. He must've seriously been thinking hard about something. 

"Hey Rob," he suddenly spoke up, looking over at me.

I slowly tore my gaze away from my book and looked at him, although he couldn't tell because of my sunglasses. "Yeah?"

"What color are your eyes?" he asked quietly, looking back at the ceiling.

I blinked a few times, my eyebrows furrowing. It was unusual for him to ask serious questions, but I knew him well enough to know that every once in a great while he would get in these moods.

"You know I can't answer that," I sighed, feeling guilty. "I'm sorry."

He groaned, slowly sliding more off the bed. "C'mon, man! I barely know anything about you. I don't even know your name, and I've known you for what, like, over a year!"

I flinched, pursing my lips. I felt bad about not letting anyone know anything about me, but Batman forbade me from telling them. 

"Batman would definitely whoop my a** if I told anyone anything," I said, setting my book down. "You know that."

He fell off my bed, his legs propped up against it and he pouted as he looked at me. "I know, but still. Sometimes I feel like I know nothing about my best friend."

I looked away, feeling heavy. "His rules, not mine, KF. Trust me, I would tell you everything if I could."

We fell silent again, just getting lost in our own thoughts. I tried to think about other things, but my mind kept drifting back to that conversation. I so badly wanted to tell him everything. He was my best friend, and I felt guilty for keeping so many things a secret. He had barely even scratched the surface of who I was, and I knew him like the back of my hand. 

"Wally?" I said softly, looking down at the red-head who was still in the same spot as before.

"Yeah?" he answered, making eye contact with me.

I sighed, anxiously rubbing my finger over the scars on my wrist. "If I tell you, you have to promise—"

"Oh my g** you're going to go against Batman!?" he exclaimed, his face lighting up as he quickly sat up and faced me. 

"Shh!" I hushed him. "You have to promise not to slip up and accidentally say something you're not supposed to know, okay? Batman could quite literally kick me off the team if he wanted to."

He nodded vigoriously, saying, "I promise I won't say anything, Rob."

He sat down on the bed across from me and suddenly leaned forwards, getting so close to me I could almost feel his breath. My breath hitched and my face immediately went red as I started to say, "H-hey, man, personal space—"

His fingertips grazed the sides of my face and I felt his fingers pressing against my glasses, silently asking if he could remove them. I sighed, nodding once and letting him slowly take them off.

He held my glasses in his hands and just silently studied my face, looking curious. I just stared back at him, trying not to freak out. Batman was so going to kill me if he found out what I was doing. 

"You have really pretty eyes," Wally abruptly said under his breath, still staring at me. 

I could feel my face burning but I didn't do anything about it, I just stared into his eyes. His eyes were beautiful, too; bright green with flecks of brown in them. I could stare at them for hours if I could, but I would be caught immediately. I didn't have my glasses on. 

"Thanks," I finally forced myself to whisper. 

He studied me for a bit longer before he eventually leaned back, holding my glasses in his lap and saying, "So, what's your name?" like nothing even happened.

I quickly composed myself and rubbed my eyes. "You're gonna laugh."

"Why would I laugh?" he said, sounding serious. "I'm finally getting to know you."

I teared up at that. Usually, I was good at hiding my emotions, but when I was around Wally I felt like I could let my walls down, even if it was just a little bit. He got to see emotions others usually didn't see. 

"I'm sorry," I muttered, pressing my lips together and furiously wiping my eyes to try to stop myself from crying. But it was already happening.

"Hey, hey, it's okay," he said quickly, pulling me forwards into a hug. "I didn't mean to force you into doing anything you didn't want to—"

"No, it's not that," I said, my lips trembling as tears fell down my cheeks. I hugged him tightly and buried my face into his shoulder. "I-I just feel guilty for not telling you things..."

He rubbed my back and let me cry into his shoulder. I hadn't cried in quite some time, and all my emotions that I was trained so hard to hide were spilling out and before I knew it I was mumbling nonsense and useless apologies to him. I tightly gripped his shirt and squeezed my eyes shut, fearing that if I let go, he would disappear. 

"It's okay," he muttered soothingly, still rubbing my back. "I'm not going anywhere, Rob. I'm right here, it's okay."

He kept whispering sweet nothings into my ear until I finally caught control over my emotions and pulled away, mumbling 'sorry' and wiping my eyes. 

"Was that a good cry?" he asked, smiling a little bit.

I punched his shoulder weakly with a small sniffle. "Shut up."

"We don't have to talk about it anymore," he said, offering me my sunglasses. 

"No, that's not it," I said, breathing in and out deeply to reel my emotions back in. "I just felt really guilty about hiding things from you, that's all. I just realized how much you don't know about me."

He leaned forwards, resting his head in his hands. "Well, if you're still up to talk about it, I would love to know about you."

Don't forget to vote and comment! Constructive criticism is welcome!

-ziakalar