𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏

────── ❧❧❧ ──────

────── ❧❧❧ ──────

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏
𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐔𝐍 𝐒𝐔𝐌𝐌𝐎𝐍𝐄𝐑

────── ❧❧❧ ──────

𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄 𝐘𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐒 𝐋𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐑

Ever since she was taken to the Little Palace, Inessa had been through intense training under the watchful eye of the Darkling. The General oversaw every one of her training sessions, he even made sure she worked on her skills in private. When she began her training, she never questioned it because she thought that was how it worked. But after she watched other Grisha train with one another, Inessa couldn't help but wonder why she was getting special treatment. However, every time she tried to ask General Kirigan about it, he would simply brush her off. After trying to get an answer for years, Inessa ultimately gave up and accepted that the Darkling had a reason for his actions. She just wished his acts involved her having a bit more freedom in her life.

Unlike the other Grisha, Inessa didn't have the privilege of walking the grounds of the Little Palace alone and exploring the surrounding forests. Instead, she was forced to stay by General Kirigan's side and under his watch. If she wasn't with the Darkling, either Ivan or Fedyor was somewhere nearby. Inessa couldn't remember the last time she didn't have someone watching her since she was forced to leave her cousin. Even when she was still with her family, either a guard or a member of the royal family was watching her every move. The Heartrender just wished she could've been born normal. No family with royal blood. No crazy Grisha powers. She wanted to be a normal teen exploring the world with Nikolai. But as usual, no one ever gets what they wish for.

Unlike her usual nights of staying locked up in her room studying the books General Kirigan gave her, Inessa found herself sitting across from the Darkling in one of his coaches. They were on their way to a First Army camp to oversee the launch of their new skiff. If anyone asked the Smirnoff girl, she would tell them it was a waste of time to try and cross the Fold. No matter how intricate the skiff was, the volcra would always find you.

It wasn't until early the next morning that they finally arrived at the First Army's camp. Inessa did her best to ignore the General's piercing gaze as she stared out the window. She would be the first to admit that she was shocked by how the soldiers lived compared to the Grisha. Their tents looked as if they could be knocked down by the smallest of breezes and they were dressed head to toe in what could be compared to rags. For people fighting for their country, they didn't seem to be treated as heroes. Not like the Grisha.

"What do you think?" the Darkling asked, breaking the silence that filled the coach since they began their journey. Inessa kept her eyes glued to the window for a moment longer before turning her attention toward the General. "This is your first time seeing the Fold up close. What do you think of it?"