𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟒

────── ❧❧❧ ──────

────── ❧❧❧ ──────

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟒
𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐈𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐒𝐄𝐒𝐒𝐈𝐎𝐍

────── ❧❧❧ ──────

It was a new day at the Little Palace and Inessa felt more exhausted than ever. She had been up all night waiting for the Darkling to summon her or come to her room to get information on Alina. But he never came. It wasn't until the following morning when she learned that he was in a meeting with the King to discuss the Sun Summoners training. The Smirnoff girl felt as though she dodged a bullet, not wanting to have any discussion with General Kirigan. But she also knew that the time would eventually come for a debriefing. Lucky for Inessa, she has one more day to get over her nerves.

The Heartrenders nerves were on edge as she walked through the halls of the Little Palace. She was alone with her thoughts as she made her journey to her destination. Well, almost alone. Inessa knew the Darkling's oprichniki were watching her as she walked down every corridor. What made matters worse was that she also knew they reported everything to the Shadow Summoner. Meaning the Smirnoff girl had to watch what she said and what she did. She was never truly alone no matter how much she craved that feeling.

It wasn't long before Inessa reached her destination. Once again she found herself standing outside Alina's door. She was to escort her to the training area so that she may begin working with Botkin, something that the Smirnoff girl longed to do. A shaky sigh passed over her breath as she knocked on the Sun Summoner's door. Inessa stood in the hallway for what felt like an eternity before the door finally opened. Alina just stared at the girl in front of her, making it seem as though she was expecting someone else. That lasted for another moment before a small smile appeared on her lips and she walked out of the room.

The two of them made their way through the halls in silence, neither of them knowing what to say. Inessa knew that the best thing they could talk about would be Alina's training. A small conversation about what to expect could calm her nerves in an instant. But the Smirnoff girl wasn't the person for that job. She had never trained with Botkin after all, only with Fedyor, Ivan, and the Darkling. Inessa didn't even know how the other Grisha trained. And yet she was assigned to escort the Sun Summoner to her first session. To anyone else, it wouldn't make sense. But the Heartrender knew the Grisha General wanted her by Alina at all times. He needed her to learn everything there was to know about the Starkov girl. And no matter how much it bothered Inessa to spy for the Darkling, she wouldn't fail him.

The Heartrender was vaguely aware of the pair of oprichniki trailing behind him. She was so used to their presence that they became almost nonexistent to her. But she was still careful with everything she did. On the other hand, Alina wasn't used to having guards following her around the Little Palace. She would glance back at them every now and then, making it very clear to everyone that she was uncomfortable. But just like Inessa, she kept her mouth closed. It was almost as if she knew they were the Darkling's ears. If only she knew the Smirnoff girl was too. Then maybe Inessa could get out of her assignment.