Chapter 25

Derek hands me a mug of hot chocolate as I'm wrapped in a warm blanket on the couch in his living room.

"Thank you."

He sits near me, the TV turned on but muted. I know he doesn't know what to say.

What is even left to say?

I open my blanket and I invite him inside. He snuggles up me as I wrap the blanket around us.

"I can't believe I was incapable of reporting him."

"It's okay-"

I cut him off. "No! It's not okay. I had to do this for other victims."

He sighs. No one knows how to comfort me. Sure, I shouldn't be forced to report anyone... but I feel obligated for the sake of any future young girls who could fall prey to that monster.

I had to do it for them... and I failed. Now if I go back they won't take me seriously. Hell, I don't even take myself seriously.

Derek presses his chin on my head as he caresses my arm. "We will find a way. We always do."

I nod, even if I don't believe it will be easy... Still, I agree with him because he makes me feel like there is always a way.

He plants a kiss on my forehead. "I will always take care of you."

~

Two weeks later

My exams are nearing and I can't close an eye, I keep thinking of everything I have to study and haven't yet. Derek is sleeping cuddled up to me, his light snoring gives me comfort. I caress his freshly shaved jaw and I just stare at his beautiful features.

He sleeps so well with me here. I've never seen him happier, really, he doesn't even try to hide it. His whole body language is relaxed around me and I am the same. We are truly made for each other.

It's been a month since I started living here on and off, but his apartment is slowly starting to become mine too. I brought almost all of my stuff and now the bathroom looks like a mess.

I wasn't one to do a lot of skincare and bodycare but lately it's been easier to take care of myself. Despite my failed attempt to report my rapist, I feel at peace with myself.

Irène said she would keep looking for him but every time we talk she hasn't mentioned it so maybe she gave up... I don't know if she would give up, she isn't that kind of woman.

A small part of me wants her to find him and take care of the situation... but it's unfair. I shouldn't want this. If I'm not allowing Derek to be in danger because of that then Irène shouldn't be either.

Although it would be easier for Irène to get out of trouble with her powerful family, I suppose.

I know they have been cutting contact with her lately, but she isn't very open about it. She just looks miserable... but she keeps saying it's all going perfect.

Her relationship with Shanice has been rocky, they are meeting more frequently now but they are always fighting. Mostly because of Irène's weird habits.

Derek's phone beeps a few times, startling me. I stare at the screen lighting up and then glance toward him. He didn't even hear it.

It triggers me even more when it beeps again and again. The messages appear on the screen one after one. It's too far for me to see.