3. chrissy

"You're buying drugs from The Freak?" I have to refrain from shouting at the absurdity that just fell out of Chrissy's mouth

"You're buying drugs from The Freak?" I have to refrain from shouting at the absurdity that just fell out of Chrissy's mouth. She shushes me and looks around, making sure nobody is listening.

"It's for my anxiety," she reassures, likely knowing how crazy it sounds. "Please just come with me. You can wait in the car if you want. I trust him but I'd feel better if you were with me," she tells me and I hesitate. I don't necessarily want to spend my night with Eddie Munson, but I can't say no to her. If it eases her anxiety then I'm all for it.

"Okay," I smile faintly at her and wrap my arm around her shoulder, "anything for Chrissy Cunningham." She giggles as we walk toward the exit of the school toward the back parking lot. A thought flickers into my mind of my mother looking around for me, and i'd feel guilty for leaving her if I didn't know that she's solely looking for me to nag. She will just rub it in my face that they won without me.

There's a slight breeze outside so I grab my cheer jacket from my backpack and don it, matching perfectly with Chrissy. I can't wait until the nights get warmer so I can hang out with my friends around the fire like we used to in the summer. Me and Chrissy can talk about boys and drink until we spin.

"He said he'll meet me back here with his car. I'm sure he won't mind if I bring you along," she interlocks her arm with mine as we walk aimlessly around the parking lot. Though I'm not so sure he won't mind seeing me. We don't typically get along. "Don't worry," she notices my hesitation, "it'll be quick. Just in and out." I nod my head and listen to the distant sounds of cheering that erupt from the front of the school. Everyone seems to be chanting for the kid who made the winning shot and hollering in the ecstasy of finally being victorious.

A pair of headlights washes over the both of us and I squint, looking toward the source of light. A van pulls up swiftly in front of us with a giddy Eddie Munson leaning out the window. He seems way too excited for a drug deal and I get a little nervous thinking about going to his house. Who even knows if he'll get us there in one piece.

"Shall we?" He flashes us a grin, reaching his arm out the window to gesture toward the car door. Chrissy hops into the passenger seat and I make my way awkwardly to the back seat, getting hit with a scent mixture of weed and vanilla as I enter. There are cassette cases sprawled across the floor and I have to carefully place my feet down to avoid crushing them. "Sorry 'bout the, uh, mess back there," he apologizes and begins driving, "wasn't planning on having a cheerleader in my back seat tonight."

I nod my head slowly, taking a look at all of the music he listens to. It doesn't come as a surprise when I see that most of it is metal and rock, seeing as he dresses like the lead member of every rock band ever. Not to mention the metal head hair. I have to pinch myself at least three times to make sure I'm not hallucinating the fact that I'm in the back of Eddie Munson's van accompanying Chrissy on a drug deal. Never in a million years would I have pictured myself in this position.